1/24 spit

Rob Colvin

I have a trumpeter kit and some left over airfix parts.........I was thinking about building IR Gleed's aircraft.  I noticed 2 sets of wing tips for the clipped bird (one Trump and one from Airfix.......The Trump parts appear small and thin with nav lights and the airfix pair are much thinker with no nav lights. Both sets appear to attach to the wing in the same place. Which way to go? O' I was looking at the small filter bird.

Thanks 

There are two types of wing tips for the clipped wing Spit Vb, so both the Airfix and Trumpeter versions are correct. The Airfix versions are the earlier "solid" wooden tips that lacked nav lights. These would be correct for Ian Gleed's aircraft. The Trumpeter versions depict the later, more common type of clipped wing. Wooden construction with aluminium covering and nav lights fitted. I'm not sure if the earlier, solid wooden type was more of a field modification than the type depicted by Trumpeter. I do believe that the Airfix Vb does include both options. 

I'm sure that Edgar (God bless him) would have supplied all of the required drawings and documentation if he were still with us. (Still miss him!)

Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

As one who is also thinking of building IRoG in 1/24th out of the Trumpy kit: you need to convert the windscreen to the later internal armor type also.

Didn't know about the earlier wingtips - thanks for that info, Steve!

Well, the Airfix kit does supply an internal armour windscreen, but I can imagine that wouldn't match up with the rest of the Trumpy canopy parts at all! The Airfix part has the frames all wrong, but I just sanded the whole thing down and corrected the frames with thin plastic strip. 

What we really need is some vac replacement parts for the canopies. Squadron announced some a few years ago for the Spitfire, and they did release the 109E and 109G canopies, but didn't deliver on the Spitfire. Wonder why they changed their minds?

Steve