Hase 1/32 109e

LSP_Matt

The beginning of my getting back to modelling. Plenty of time off work at the moment becasue the # of my left arm still hasn't healed from January. ( just had a bone graft...owwwch :blink: :) )

LSP inspired I thought I'd give scribing a bash and add some wires to my DB601. Hmmm bit wild and outa control with the CA...and this was before I got my hand drills.

post-4-1120658378.jpg

Really sorry...had borrowed my Ex's Digi Camera and I've been getting used to it...the later work is somewhat better in picture quality but I'm still getting used to it.

Thanks to Erwin for suggesting the various ways of helping to scribe over curved surfaces. I have noticed though that I've been tending to cut trenches.

Anyone have any comments on what is an appropriate depth for 1/32 scale

post-4-1120658966.jpg

Engine ( actually I found this whole caboose of cockpit/engine/instrument panel and ?fuel tank was fraught with error on putting it together. In fact I still stuffed it. How lame is it to be having errors of assembly...Doh! Anyway...when I do another one in the future I'll know the pitfall.

post-4-1120659460.jpg

My attempt at dry brushing the instrument panel...as best as I could focus it...trust me with an SLR I'm pretty slick...but this digital thingo. :blink:

Pilot is from a newer 109 K kit...I dodgy'd up some seat belt straps on his back as well. I took the grease mark off his face later on.

post-4-1120659650.jpg

I know I've skipped ahead a bit...but I'm putting on decals on all except the bottom at the moment. Stencil diagram from hasegawa I'm not finding as useful as it could be. I'm wondering if the people who make these kits ever test drive them. Sheesh...I found the tank/cockpit/engine just didn't locate anywhere positive in the fuselage. Oh well...its not like I'm not having fun.

I used Chris Hannovers post shading ideas here...I think its beginning to shape up.

post-4-1120659848.jpg

I used the kits manufactuer recommended RLM71 for the spine and fuselage. Before this I'd done my fuselage in RLM74 and post shaded the centre of the panels with a lighter grey...it was looking really good. But by the time I added the green all my 'grey' work had become obliterated by the busyness of the Wick Camo.

The RLM71 also had no contrast compared to the RLM74. You could hardly see the green. In the end I went for a Black/Green RLM70 to increase the contrast and it started to look better. I've tried some initial weathering with simply wet and dry rubbed over to take off some the paint. No panel line work yet and still in gloss for decals.

I used a dental microbrush for the Wick but I'm not sure they are small enough. I tended to follow the kit profile in the instructionsa but I think some of the photos people kindly placed in "discussion" showed a smaller/more busy pattern.

post-4-1120660344.jpg

Last one...more to follow in next few days...I've committed to finsihing a kit or two before I keep going with some others. Hope there've been worthwhile but I've enjoyed making this kit. Mind you I wondered why I chose the Wick when Otto Bertrams one from 1/JG2 would have been easier.

Cheers Matt

post-4-1120661048.jpg

Nice work CQB! I always love seeing an Me109 with it's innards showing! It'd be great to see some more detail shots of the engine area if you've got 'em?!

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,

Ango.

Good one Matt, looks the business from this side of the Nulla too! I don't know what the correct depth of a panel line in 1/32 would be??? Personally I think it is more of a "perception" sort of thing. If it looks AOK to the human eye, I reckon it's good. And yours looks good! Keep the updates coming and keep building mate. Cheers Jim :blink:

Yeah thanks chaps. :-)

Only extra photos I have of the engine. It seems the DB series don't seem to have lashings of spagetti much like the PW2800 types...they seem pretty much black with a coupla pipes...but they are great.

Anyway I'd added some extra wires up on the fuselage gun platform and soldered them together...I had planned to add some tissue paper and simulate the effect that the Airfix 1/24 kits has...and then I realised it couldn't be seen anyway. He he...but I know its there. It seemed also that the kit engine injectors running above the exhaust are not correct. There was a great walkaround posted on LSP a while ago and it shows them superbly.

Besides I lashed and bought myself a saw...sheesh does that cut better ;)

Photo 1 A top view.

post-4-1120742268.jpg