1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Small update but, progress none the less. Got the fins painted and sealed on the AIM-9's and AIM-7. I used Model Master metalizer paint " Titanium " and then buffed them out with a Q-Tip. I wanted to use Alclad but, it was still in the mail.  After all these years of modeling this was my first time using metalizer paint, pretty cool stuff. It really is amazing how good they look once buffed out. Next up, a little more paint work to the missiles exhaust areas.

IMG_3594_zps062b2d38.jpg

I also got the fuel tanks gloss coated. Slowly making forward progress, thanks for looking.

Steve

IMG_3604_zps962a8704.jpg

Update for today,

Another sub-assembly almost finished but, coming along nicely. The AIM-9's and AIM-7 along with their launchers and pylons. I still have some work to do to the missiles before I can say they're 100% finished but again, nice to see things coming together. Til next time

Steve

IMG_3613_zps36a501a5.jpg

IMG_3616_zps2990843d.jpg

Good morning everyone,

While some other parts are drying I decided to tackle the LANTIRN pod. This is JSI's version, beautifully done but, the heads laser window and FLIR are all wrong.

IMG_3634_zps2e72b00a.jpg

My reference photos show what they should look like.

IMG_3626_zps6ce29c40.jpg

I popped off the old lenses and sanded down the face of the FLIR ( there was some glue residue that needed to be removed ). I cut a new FLIR window out of an old notebook subject divider page that was about the right color and used an MV lens for the laser eye held in place with some blue tak. Once I got the MV lens and the FLIR window at the right spot I used a little CA glue to hold them in place.

IMG_3628_zps10579ccf.jpg

On the left is the original JSI version, for my VF-154 jet,  and on the right is my updated version. Looks a lot better IMO. Now I can get ride of the seams and sink marks and make it look like it should. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

IMG_3632_zpsfcfbdf66.jpg

Today's update, look what showed up in the mailbox today !! A HUGE THANK YOU to Brian P. at FIGHTERTOWN DECALS for helping out with these for the Big Cat project. Some of the parts are ready for decals so, I am excited to give them a try. Hopefully over the weekend I get a chance to use them. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

IMG_3652_zpsfff490b3.jpg

Good afternoon everyone,

Small update today to revive this thread. Decaled the tails today. It's been around 13 years since I've played with decals so it's taking a little bit to get back in the groove. The decals are great, amazingly thin, more so than what I am use to, and they go down real nice. Since they are so thin you have to be very precise with your placement, which I learned very quickly. The skull and crossbones gave me a little battle but, everything work out thankfully. I will need to hit the skull sides again with more Micro Sol to get them to settle better in the seam at the rudder. Thanks for showing interest in this build and for checking in.

Steve

IMG_3656_zps0d2750ad.jpg

IMG_3657_zps6663ebfb.jpg

Small update for this morning, finished up detailing the LANTIRN pod. Next I will mask off the laser window and FLIR and get some primer applied. I hope to get the 2 AIM-9's and AIM-7 weathered ( waiting on some washes to arrive in the mail ) and flat coated. Then I can attach the 2 MV lenses to the AIM-9's seeker head, apply a dab of Tamiya clear smoke to the lenses and, the missiles will finally be finished Thanks for checking in.

IMG_3658_zps5f1b2cb1.jpg

IMG_3659_zpsaf9e9dfe.jpg

IMG_3660_zpsfbe24316.jpg

Today's update, finally finished up the AIM-7 and the AIM-9's. I added the proximity fuzing to the AIM-7 using some left over brown strips of decal. The missiles were given a wash and then flat coated. I also added the Influence fuze / Target Detector windows using a few drops of Testors clear parts cement and finally the seeker heads ( MV lenses ) were glued to the tips of the AIM-9's. I just need to add a touch of Tamiya smoke to the seeker heads.

IMG_3669_zps33bb3211.jpg

IMG_3670_zpsdabbba5c.jpg

Influence fuze / TD windows added.

IMG_3666_zps75247e27.jpg

IMG_3671_zpsd04fddc0.jpg

IMG_3672_zps338d0ab3.jpg

I added a small white disk inside the Sparrows exhaust to cover up the hole that I drilled out for inserting the brass rod while painting.

IMG_3673_zps94ce4d11.jpg

IMG_3674_zps2ea7b3a4.jpg

Glad these are all finished up, it's nice to get another step forward on the project. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Small update for today, got the LANTIRN pod painted and worked on the wing pylon that carries the pod. I cut out the underside of the pylon, like on the real jet so I will have a place for the cables, that hook up to the pod, to disappear into. I will use some small lead wire to represent the cables. It should look pretty convincing once finished.

IMG_3678_zps0662dc62.jpg

I also decided to tackle the crews helmets also. There was a bad seam that needed to go away and, the visors needed some better shaping. I will completely repaint both helmets and masks.

IMG_3675_zps97bf1b23.jpg

IMG_3676_zps21aac784.jpg

Tonight's update, got the LANTIRN pod gloss coated yesterday and just finished putting the decals on. The gunship grey one, in the upper left, is from my VF-154 jet. I'll let these decals dry overnight and give it a semi gloss coat of flat tomorrow. Why semi gloss you ask because, this will allow more of my wash effect to stick to the pod then I can flat coat the pod. I also got the crews helmets primed tonight as well. I'm hoping to get them painted and finished up tomorrow too. Have a good night and thanks for looking.

Steve

IMG_3682_zps46e37ce5.jpg

Good Friday afternoon everyone and Happy Veteran's Day weekend to my fellow veteran's out there, thanks for your service !!

OK, today's update is all about the LANTIRN pod. I got everything finished up last night and got the pod attached to the wing pylon. This first shot shows my finished pod on the left with the factory version from JSI on the right, big difference IMO.

IMG_3687_zps607f4b6f.jpg

IMG_3689_zps98c62766.jpg

IMG_3688_zps2e224bb2.jpg

Closeup of the business end of the pod. I used a thin coat of Tamiya clear green on the laser window.

IMG_3691_zps0d95b4cd.jpg

I used some metal screening, from my stash box, on the back end of the pod for the exhaust vent. The "cables" were made using some old telephone cable. Inside the phone cable itself there is a red, yellow, green and, a black wire. These were about the same diameter as the point where they attach to the pod. I used a little flat white and red to represent the different heat shrink wrap used on the real cables and some steel for the cable ends. The pod was drilled out to accept the copper wire and I stripped off a little of the black coating. A dab of super glue to secure them in place and instant "cables".

IMG_3686_zpsa25746f4.jpg

IMG_3696_zps944ed84d.jpg

Sanded the paint off the front of the ball to give it that worn look from flight.

IMG_3700_zps6c1615da.jpg

And finally, the pod mounted to the wing pylon. I'm really pleased how this came out. It looks ALOT better than the stock version and will dress up the Big Cat. Thanks for checking in. Now to get back to the crews helmets. See ya.

Steve

IMG_3702_zpsdebc6efa.jpg

I hope everyone had a great weekend, tonight's update, got the crews helmets all finished. Everything was repainted and all by hand. Once the seams on the helmet and visor were gone I primed them with Floquil grey primer. I used MM Classic white for the helmet shells. I wanted them shinny to mimic the reflective tape that they are done with. MM Insignia yellow and flat black were used to create the Jolly Roger stripe. MM steel for the bayonets and some gloss black for the visors. I think they look a lot better and should add a nice touch.

IMG_3705_zpsd9391ae1.jpg

IMG_3706_zpsa2cc32ab.jpg

IMG_3707_zps112d7e28.jpg

Today's update, working on the tailplanes.

Since the thickness of these were too thick around the edges I decided to sand them down. I wanted to get the edges more to scale, however doing so I sanded off the radar warning antennas, it was just easier instead of trying to sand around them. Now that I have created more work for myself I need to replace them. I took some extra sprue, from one of my future kits, and sanded it down flat on one side and shaped one end to a point. Once I get the size I need I will glue it to the tailplane and finish sanding off the flat edge. Hopefully once primed they will look acceptable, stay tuned.

Steve

IMG_3708_zps88d0c57c.jpg

IMG_3709_zps05d6ebb1.jpg

Good day everyone, small update for today. Things have been moving slowly on the Big Cat for a couple of reasons but, finally got the horizontal stabs sanded down and the edges are nice and thin now. I also added the new scratchbuilt radar-warning receivers.

As I go thru this re-build I am gluing all the seams so there are no issues later on, or so I thought. I don't know what type of plastic this Tomcat is made out of but, most liquid cements won't work on it ?? Currently I am using Ambroid Pro Weld liquid glue. Before I wet sanded the horizontal stabs down I flooded all seams with the liquid glue and let them dry overnight. While wet sanding, some of the seams reopened and, water got inside so, now I had to wait and let them dry good before proceeding. Once they dried I re-glued them with Loctite super glue and sanded them again, this seems to work. I also had an issue when I glued the radar-warning receivers on using the Ambroid. After gluing and clamping them in place, for a few hours, I went to blend them in with the sanding stick and they popped right off. I had to glue them again with the Loctite, very frustrating to say the least. So I guess from here on out the Loctite will be the glue of choice.

Next up I will get them in primer and see how they look, one step forward and a few steps back but, progress none the less. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Top view

IMG_3755_zps94a9dc90.jpg

Bottom view

IMG_3756_zpsf179713c.jpg

IMG_3710_zps79319030.jpg