Me109G-12 oxygen regulator use?

thierry laurent

Hi folks,

I had a look yesterday evening at the Alleycat Me109G-12 conversion and compared the contents to the rare bits of information ever published about this type. It really looks they did their job. However, something puzzled me when I saw the lack of oxygen regulator for the rear station. I know that we only have a single picture of the G-12 rear pit and this does not show any oxygen system. So, if this is representative of the plane "standard" equipment, this leads to the following question: did the G-12s have the FRONT regulator system?

Indeed, it looks weird to my eyes to have an oxygen regulator system for one station in a two-seaters plane! I made some searches about the topic but it seems nobody else wrote anything about it!

Last, I do not have it but it seems the Bf 109 G-12 Bedienvorschrift-Fl, L.Dv.T.2109 G-12/Fl (Ausgabe Dez.44) document does not clarify that.

Weird...

Thierry

Well Andy, this is clearly the best option in comparison with all the rare conversions already released. They even included some correction/improvement parts for the front cockpit. Moreover, the clear resin cockpit and decals are real assets.

I also got the G4 conversion to get the smooth cowling. Unfortunately, one of the front cockpit clear parts was cracked as the box is quite small and with the added G4 parts and the large sprue gates, this did not help. In the worst case, I will convert the plastic one but I hope I'll get a reply and a replacement part.

I think there is just one major assembly challenge: the way the fuselage has to be cut. I do not think there is a perfect solution except the more expensive full fuselage approach. In any case, I would recommend adding all the plastic inserts BEFORE cutting in the sides to add the resin inserts. A major caveat regarding the instruction sheet: measure your resin parts before doing the cuts as there were here and there half-a-millimeter of difference between the parts and the dimensions on the sketches!

Thanks Andy.

I forgot adding I just found one discrepancy. The floor of the rear station should have a notch with round mechanical parts (control column linkage I guess?) in the middle of its starboard edge whereas the resin part has just a straigth edge. This is odd as it is clearly visible on the unique picture they had to use to make the master. Fortunately, this looks like a 20 minutes job for nitpickers!

Hth

Thierry