*DONE* 1/48 Hasegawa P-47D Razorback: "Button Nose/Stalag Luft III

mywifehatesmodels

Today I was busy as a bee. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

20150827_170908_zpsajlmwdxh.jpg

20150827_200352_zpsnbhy0dll.jpg

20150827_200200_zpsp6kylfd0.jpg

20150827_200101_zpsd3zqtnze.jpg

20150827_200234_zpsmsha8lp0.jpg

I know there's a lot of controversy over 56th FG Jugs and exactly what colors were used to paint their unique camo schemes. I had an idea of how I wanted this one to look, from interpreting the photos and decided to just roll with it. The paint instructions with the decal sheet weren't exactly what I would have chosen, but that's just me. I started out with the underside. The gray in the photos appears to be on the light side, so I used Testors Camoflage Gray from the rattle can, because it was pretty much a match for what I thought it should look like and I had it on hand. Next, I painted the topsides with MM RAF Ocean Gray. I followed that up with a light, splotchy shading of MM Intermediate Blue. You can hardly see the difference between the two colors, but I think the lighter IB will pop out a little once the flat coat is applied. Last, but not least, I sprayed the camo pattern with MM RAF Dark Green.

As soon as everything was dry to the touch, I pulled all the masks, as I didn't want to risk them sticking to anything too aggressively (primarly worried about the black stripes over white) if I were to let it sit overnight. There will certainly still be some touch-ups to do and I have to paint the red on the front of the cowl yet. However, it's starting to look like the plane I'm trying to model, at least.

Thanks for checking in,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, Maru!

I only wish the stripes were "flawless". :unsure: However, they're close enough in most spots that I have to use a caliper to see where they're off. Probably not any worse than the real plane was, but far from perfect.

Today was spent getting the decals applied and weathering. I used oils, mainly, then followed up with a touch of pastel chalk in a few spots before shooting the flat coat. Also, I wanted to mention that I'm extremely impressed with the way the Kits World decals layed down. They were very easy to work with. The hardest part of the decals was with the stars and bars on the fuselage vents. It took a few careful cuts to get them to lay how I wanted and then a little bit of touch-up painting. All the decals reacted very positively to Micro-Sol.

From here, I'm just working on all the smaller parts to finish it off. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, finally. :)

Thanks again,

John

20150829_190857_zpsmjykqeko.jpg

Thank you, Kuky and Kev.

I tried to get this finished over the weekend, but didn't quite make it. By Saturday night, I was starting to break things, so I decided that it was time to get some sleep. Yesterday, I was busy with other things, so I didn't get much time at the bench. However, I have managed to get the gear/wheels installed, as well as the bomb pylons and a few more of the smaller details either installed, or painted and ready to be installed. I also got the resin prop painted and just about ready for final assembly (one blade was warped, which I had to correct). Also, I ran into one other problem and that was with the drop tank. I asked my friend which style of tank he wanted on it, and he left it up to me, since the kit only supplies the flat style. I thought about modifying one of the cylindrical, paper tanks from the Tamiya kit, but it would have required a lot more work. So, I installed the flat tank. However, because I had also "weighted" the tires by sanding them flat on the bottom, the tail end of the drop tank actually touches the ground (even if barely)! :doh: So, today I will have to modify the bracing slightly to get it to sit just a few scale inches higher at the tail to give some clearance.

So, aside from the drop tank issue, I still have to paint and install the bombs on the wings, decal and flat coat the prop blades before assembling/installing the prop, add the guns' blast tubes, antenna mast and pitot tube. Then, aside from a few touch-ups, I THINK it will be done. My goal is to have this finished by the time I go to bed tonight and to take some photos, tomorrow. The weather forecast looks promising; a cloudy day with little to no wind. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed and post pics when she's finished.

Again, thanks to everyone for the comments and encouragement.

John

Okay, I'm calling her done!

I just snapped a few pics on the bench, since the weather isn't really cooperating, but it should be better tomorrow. So, I'll get it out and take some better outdoor pictures when the wind isn't 25mph and the sun glaring.

I got the drop tank to clear the ground, but just barely. I ended up using the gun barrels from the Tamiya kit, also, since they were a better representation than the Hasegawa version and it didn't require drilling them all out at the muzzle. Other than that, everything else was the fairly standard "fiddly bits" to be added.

20150831_130042_zpsuejcklbn.jpg

20150831_130234_zpsahvqtojh.jpg

20150831_130320_zpsi7ekosfx.jpg

20150831_130403_zpskb3ircik.jpg

Thanks again, everyone!

John

Thanks again for the compliments, everyone!

I got out this morning to get some more photos. The weather was muggy and overcast. probably not much different than it was on D-Day, so a fitting atmosphere for this plane. I also managed to get one pic that shows a little bit more of the pit.

8_zps9helxiqc.jpg'

4a_zpsxkzddabw.jpg

1_zpsrhjo5588.jpg

2_zpsaufmis7c.jpg

3_zpsphui09r3.jpg

4_zpsr6oplyqz.jpg

5_zpsxiaodotn.jpg

6_zpss0jlmh3b.jpg

When I was cropping and uploading the photos, I noticed a hairline fracture that appears on the right wing. Sure enough, it cracked along the seam. I'll have to try to fix that. :doh: That's another advantage of the Tamiya kit, is that it has a separate plug where the gun barrels come through. On the Hase kit, it's a traditional, straight seam and any work in/around those holes has a tendency to crack the seam. 

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The Kit's World decals are awesome. Actually, I had planned on eventually doing a Razorback for my own collection, but in 1/32 scale (of course!). I was pretty set on the idea that it would be olive drab. However, after doing this build, I'm seriously reconsidering that. I just love how this camo looks on the Razorback and may have to go in this direction. Maybe even this exact plane.

Thanks again to everyone for following along!

John