1/48 B-17G Chowhound...Decals and into Darkness

fightnjoe

Well here I am yet again.  

Time for a smallish update on what is going on.  

Work has begun to detail the Nav Station in the bomber nose.  I have fabricated some electrical panels and some of the odds and ends that are in the real thing.  

First up the Starboard side and the little bit I did, the tank holder and the Drift Meter.  Now throughout you will not see wiring yet.  I have not gotten that far.

Nav-Station-2_zpsbrurptup.jpg

The different panels and boxes on the Port side.

Nav-Station-1_zpsi1obwmos.jpg

And the flooring of the station.

Nav-Station-3_zpsydlep1ip.jpg

Nav-Station-4_zpswsnhiily.jpg

I will continue on this section and fill it out with the little things and then some of the major objects like the guns and such.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Brian it is small for sure.  I keep mumbling how much I want to get back to 24 scale.  The parts are so much larger.

Many thanks for the very kind words.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
I am back.

The progress will not look like much but it is one subassembly at a time and move forward.

For this update it is all about the bomb sight and the crew access area under the cockpit.  For reference the gray is kit, the white is resin (oxygen bottles and Instrument Panel) and styrene.

Wiring is getting done and some things are in place permanently.  

Nav-Station-5_zpsoqsbyyug.jpg

The Bomb Sight took a while but it is almost done.

Bomb-Sight-1_zpsf8gnwixe.jpg

Bomb-Sight-2_zpszpwrqklm.jpg

And the crew access area both in place and out.

Crew-Access-4_zpswlyefbpw.jpg

Crew-Access-5_zpszqvxfffe.jpg

Crew-Access-3_zpsauwlzk1l.jpg

Crew-Access-2_zpso7znqng3.jpg

Crew-Access-1_zpsgtnenx11.jpg

Moving forward I plan to keep going on the fabrication and at some point I will start the pit area.  

Joe

Me again.

Just another small, but to me kind of important, update.

This I believe will be the last picture of the forward sections without paint.  That means they should be finished the next time you see them.  

The major construction I think is done.  All that is left is to plumb it up.  So the next step is to paint.  

Pictures of the Nav Station.

Nav-Station-8_zpsvc9fjra6.jpg

Nav-Station-6_zpsn45mo6ef.jpg

Nav-Station-10_zpstdd6d34e.jpg

And the work on the pit.  This included the seat framing, the Throttle Console, and the Bottles at the rear.  Note that the pilot frame is off a bit.  That has been fixed.  Also the canvass is in place.

Nav-Station-7_zps3axu2n4c.jpg

Nav-Station-9_zpsaui2cmni.jpg

Nav-Station-11_zpsouxxn8ep.jpg

Like I said not much but it is significant in that I am ready to paint this.  I hope to have these painted by the end of the weekend.  I hope to have these areas finished off in the next week or so.  

Joe

Well there has been a bit of a change.

Sometimes you guide a build, sometimes the build guides you.  At this moment the build is starting to guide me.  

I am not able to proceed the way I wanted to.  It just will not happen that way.  I need to let the build guide me as to what to do next.  To that end I am posting a small update.

I was painting and assembling the cockpit as well as some of the ins and outs of the build and hit a block.  I could not proceed without changing what I was doing.  

First the pictures.

Some long awaited colour for the front sections.

Interior-Paint-6_zpsxtsredmk.jpg

Interior-Paint-5_zpsbvirnsug.jpg

Interior-Paint-3_zpsh0wmnhzk.jpg

Interior-Paint-4_zpsckcfhxjy.jpg

Interior-Paint-2_zps3zjpldpv.jpg

Interior-Paint-1_zpsdqvh0evy.jpg

Now for the change.  I need to continue with the major construction moving toward the tail.  The Bomb Bay is next up.  I need to do the major construction.  I will be working on some of the stuff left in the sections I have been working on but the bulk of my time will be in the major construction.  Once the major construction is done I will go back to tie up all the loose ends.  I cannot do that until I am just about ready to close up the fuselage as too early and the parts will break off and the build will become incredibly difficult.

Thank you for following along with this, as always, all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe