Amodel Shavrov Sh-2 in 1/72

Willy_N

This will be my next build, straight from the box with a pilot figure is the plan.

I know next to nothing about this aeroplane, but it's such a cool looking machine!

SH-2_zps22bf9683.jpg

The parts looks to be of the fairly standard short run variety. I.e. some work required. The clear parts do not look very good but we'll see what can be made with them.

SH-2_2_zpsfb134c76.jpg

Now this looks like fun to fix :) Actually, this wing is the only part with significant sink marks.

SH-2_3_zpsd5db7b06.jpg

Markings for six different machines. I think I'll go with the one depicted in the box art. The decals look thin and very matte. I'm not sure about the colours, but I won't worry too much about that.

SH-2_4_zps3052b1b8.jpg

Thanks guys! I hadn't heard about it either, but it turned up while I was searching for something else at Hannants and I thought it looked really unique and cool.

Do not expect it to be up to the standards of the other builds here, it's only my fourth kit since re-entering the hobby and like the others it will be built straight from the box and brush painted. It's still fun to be back in the fold, even if only on a small scale compared to how I used to build :)

I have assembled the wings and the center section, the wings are just dry-fitted to the center section for now as they need some more work.

The fit leaves a thing or two to be desired, but nothing that can't be fixed. Compared to photos of the real aircraft, the ribbing detail is quite overdone so I have decided to sand this down a bit.

Oddly, the ailerons are depicted with a smooth underside and a ribbed topside. I'm guessing that only one is correct but I haven't spent a lot of time looking for pictures yet.

But look at that beautiful profile! 

Wing_zps0c21db0c.jpg

I have also glued the fuselage sides together. They fit very well, but left a rather big gap at the rudder joint.

The upper decking is just dry fitted for the photo to illustrate another quirk - the transition between the hull and the decking is supposed to form a smooth curve between the cockpit and the bow, but Amodel has designed this in the oddest way. The decking is almost 2mm too narrow on each side. At first I thought that I had sanded the fuselage mating surfaces too far down prior to gluing and the decking was supposed to fit between them. But I discarded this theory as the decking fits very well sitting on top. That transition will have to be dealt with though.

Ah well, it's all part of the package with some of these kits and I really don't mind :)

Fuselage_zps7fc190a7.jpg

Edited by Willy_N

Progress on the Shavrov has been rather slow, but I have found the time to complete a few more sub assemblies, and to start painting the interior. I made a floor from scrap plastic, as there seems to have been at least something like it on the real thing. That also helped aligning the parts.

The outer wings are done for now. I'll probably have to restore some details on them, but I'll give them a coat of paint first to see where I stand a bit more clearly. The wings center section is close to done, as are the winglets with the stabilizers. Although the parts for the latter fit quite well, the floats were a festival of small sink marks, so I am rather relieved to have them done! 

Interior_zps6f126c08.jpg

I'll have to make a new windscreen, as the one supplied in the kit lived up to my rather grim expectations and snapped in half during clean-up. I probably would have made one anyway, as the pour stubs extended into the windscreen itself, and would have been very difficult to remove properly without damage.

I did find a suitable pilot figure. He was already posed and painted for a different project, so I had to do a bit of work on him, but he's coming along. I had to notch his legs to make them go under the instrument panel, but that should be pretty much invisible with everything assembled. I have only painted the primary uniform colours as of yet.

I am sorry about his undignified pose though, it looks like he could use a magazine and some privacy :)

Pilot_zpsce1a03aa.jpg

Edited by Willy_N

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress - major subassemblies are assembled and given a thin basecoat to identify any bad seams, missed sinkmarks etc. I found a couple that I'll try to fix with primer paint. I had a hard time getting the winglets and tailplanes alligned, but I think they turned out pretty good in the end.

sh2_zpsa249ccae.jpg