GWH 1/48 F-15C Eagle

DoogsATX

Took advantage of a short bench session last night to get the next build off the ground - Great Wall's fancy new 1/48 F-15C MSIP II

llnrs4817.jpg

The kit contains some truly impressive elements, including single-piece AIM-9X and AIM-120 missiles that pack enough detail to embarrass other injection-molded missiles and rival the best resin options around:

10408772_712279042195213_809130786307247

But I'm a ways from touching the armaments yet. Last night was mostly about getting the cockpit spun up. Detail in the front office is exquisite - on part with Hobby Boss' A-6 kits. The seat would be better as a resin replacement, but the way the ejection rails work, I'm more comfortable using the kit plastic. I will, however, be snagging an Eduard PE set to replace the chintzy molded-on buckles (which, for some reason, the kit only includes the shoulder portions of) and snazz up the rest of the seat a bit.

GWH%20F-15C%2010-19-14-1-X3.jpg

Fit so far is decent, but not as amazing as I'd hoped. Hopefully this is not indicative of the rest of the kit. It's not a BAD fit, it's more that there's a lot of very minor flash that has to be cleaned off just so. 

More to come, probably slowly as my focus remains on the Corsair.

Edited by DoogsATX

Last night was all about clear coats on the Corsair, but that wrapped early so I managed to get a bit of work in on the Eagle.

First up - testing the fit of the forward access panels. I'm generally not a huge fan of cracking open all the panels on an aircraft, especially one with lines as good as an F-15, so I want to do these closed. Fortunately, Great Wall makes this easy with panels that actually fit extremely well. Trumpeter, Eduard, Kitty Hawk and others would do well to follow this example!

IMG_20141027_002952-X3.jpg

Also, more work on the cockpit. Got the seat rails glued in (I'll post a separate pic when I yank the seat for painting) and started adding detail to the aft bay. The kit plastic is really rather impressive, but this sprue for some reason has some minor flash around the parts and really takes some careful cleanup given the extremely tight fight tolerances.

IMG_20141027_003132-X3.jpg

IMG_20141027_003205-X3.jpg

Hello!

WoW! I´ve read some reviews on this kit, but thanks a lot for the photographs and carefull explanation!

The avionics bay seems to be as detailed as some resin sets!

Looking forward to the next installments!

José Pedro