Trumpeter MiG-3

Carlos Palma

Hello,

If I may give you an advice: think twice before using this camo!!!

As you, I decided some months ago that this camo was really eye-catching and began building the kit.

I initially thought there were some slight modifications to carry out to depict an early MIG 3 (only one captured by Romanians)! I glued the slats with cyano as there're none on the early bird... to discover progressively I made a huge error: Indeed there're no slats but in fact, all the nose area details are different (from a vertical line at the level of the rear of the cockpit)!!! And I say ALL: panels dimensions, rivets lines, recessed and protruding air intakes shape and number, guns covers, exhausts, etc, etc...

You've to fill most panel lines and rivets to engrave new ones and extend the protruding flat panel behind the exhausts, scratch air inlets, front cover of exhaust, etc, etc...

I'm working on this one for six months...

To release an early bird, we need new fuselage and wings...!

:blink:

Hi Thierry Laurent...sorry by the late...

Yes, I know that the romanian MiG-3 is a "bit" diferent than Trumpeter kit...

Well, I´m following some tips from Massimo website and other few sources that I have about this version.

I'll try to do the corrections and we will see what happens OK.

Thanks for advice.

Cheers.

Carlos

Sorry to be negative again but take care with the Contact set...

Look before and purchase after as the initial views of test shots showed fantasy details on the sides, a floor that does not exist in the plane and wheels that are strangely similar to the original with a photoetched wheel rim part...

if you're looking for something that looks detailed, that is OK but if you're looking for accuracy, this is not the top bargain... Do you remember the P-40 set that kept the original too shallow parts?

In many cases, adding some copper wire bits, Evergreen ribs, milliput cushion and lead belts on the kit seat does not produce an accurate cockpit master...!

I know that this plane seems to be damned as there is no "modeller"-oriented book to detail it. BTW, this is the only kit I've for which I only have some modelling magazines articles and Internet web pages as references. Hence, there is no detail set except Part and Eduard photoetched sets and neither of them is totally accurate by the way.

I ended using modified parts from the two Eduard and Part sets (two for the airframe & interior and two for the flaps). And when I say modified...

Oddly enough, neither the Part or the Eduard sets give wheel rims with the correct depth and number of rectangular holes (too less on the former, too much on the latter!). I choose the Part one and added bolts as well as plastic circles (to correct depth).

Another example: Eduard give two trapezoidal parts to glue on the false floor in front of the seat. On the actual airframe, they are recessed, not protruding! And another one: the false floor (embossed iron sheet) stops in front of the seat, not under....

BTW, except the floor errors to cope with, the Eduard set give a lot of interesting parts to detail the cockpit!

My best advice: look in older posts on LSP, you'll find the links to the VVS and Massimo Barbieri web pages.

A MIG-3 is currently restored in Russia and if you search on the web, some interesting pictures are available (more particularly for the cockpit and the flaps).

Guys, when building mine I found http://www.airforce.ru/aircraft/mikoyan/mi...savia/index.htm

Which has some nice pictures of the fuselage interior. Together with Massimo's site this should give a pretty accurate idea of how the cockpit is supposed to look. Indeed, none of the aftermarket really is accurate. Carlos on the other hand does have it correct but it takes more work, trust me :blink:

Regards,

Maarten