Merlin conversion for He 111

imatt88

• 2 weeks later...

The heritage set seems far more complete, but I have my doubts about the transition of shape from the engine panels to the radiator, as it seems way too pronounced on the photos shown on the Heritage website.

*** looking at the photos on the website again, I now conclude that the nacelles are totally useless. On the real thing there is virtually no wasting between the top of the cowl and the radiator section, and it also does not slope in towards the rear on the bottom. The top line of the cowling is also parallel with the exhausts, whereas the heritage interpretation seems to be about 10 degrees or more difference. Whether the other pieces are useable on new build cowlings I am not sure. More's the pity, as I would have like a nice Spanish one.

Edited by Alburymodeler

Alburymodeler;

In my excitement, I didn't spot the shape issues with the Heritage set (Gawd knows how!), but now you've pointed it out, I just can't ignore it. Those cowls are nowhere near! However, the items available on Ebay look pretty good to me. Would a mixture of both sets provide the answer? Expensive I know, but I've spent far more on aftermarket to get what I want before! 

Thanks for highlighting this though. I'm not really sure what those Heritage cowls would be good for...not a Casa 2.111 it seems.

Regards;

Steve

Certainly the shapes are way better with the ebay kit. Some of the detail parts look a little clunky in comparison with Heritage, such as the one piece props and spinner. Heritage provide additional clear parts, and I note the Casa 2.111 has clear panels all the way around and not the covered panel at the 7 o'clock position, and the mount for the gimballed nose gun is also much finer than the Revell kit. I wonder if the He 111H kit had more appropriate clear parts?

So, I think at this stage a combination of two would be good, or the Heritage with scratch built cowlings ( also on option then for a Beaufighter II) or wait for the 1/32 Lancaster........

• 1 month later...