Revell 1/48 Do-335 (Update 11/17/2013) DONE

Harrison90

Hello everyone. This is my very first, ever posted work, so lets see how it goes. This project will involve my first attempt at rescribing an entire kit and scratching building of multiple components.

IMG_00000358_zps872c2765.jpg
This shows the exhausts cut out and panel lines removed.

IMG_00000362_zpsb11bcec9.jpg
Picture of the kit control panel, which will be chucked.

IMG_00000363_zps5edf09d6.jpg
Replacing the kit panel will be a scratch built one. This is the prototype, just to ensure fit and look.

More to come soon.

Cheers

Edited by Harrison90

Good choice Harrison! I built this kit myself many years ago, and it was also my first full rescribe job (though I confess I didn't bother with some of the more difficult curved panels). It may have been eclipsed by the Tamiya kit, but it's still pretty decent. I have another one in the stash (a builder's kit) to complete some day.

Looking forward to your progress!

Kev

IMG_00000376_zpse07cc0e0.jpg

The tools of the trade...

IMG_00000377_zps254cfa83.jpg

and the early stages.

"Nice prep work mate. This is one thing I should do more often when rescribing, but laziness usually gets the better of me. You're making me think about starting mine!"

To be honest I would have probably been lazier with it if I weren't posting it online.

Edited by Harrison90

Some more progress

IMG_00000378_zps4547838b.jpg

Now to process of riveting... and I will mention, this isn't exact to the real thing, just so the rivet counters know. :P

IMG_00000379_zpse5b48d35.jpg

IMG_00000380_zpsbc758012.jpg

... Also received these today:

IMG_00000381_zpsdbcf15c6.jpg

Edited by Harrison90

Looking good! I'm not sure I'll bother rivetting mine when the time comes, but I'm certainly interested to see how yours turns out.

Kev

Luckily, the drawings and pictures I've found show only a few panels actually showing rivets with the rest being smoothed and polished.

Well, not as much progress as hoped for but here is what's been managed over the last few days.

IMG_00000391_zpsfe38d15a.jpg

IMG_00000392_zps8a11a14e.jpg

IMG_00000393_zpse0430005.jpg

I've finished the lower wing sections rivet details with my Trumpeter rivet maker tool and one by one with a Dream Model rivet template and a pin. I'll admit some of it is pretty rough looking, even knowing its my first time I'm still annoyed it didn't come out better... <_< (may go back and fix them still)

IMG_00000394_zps30de2e61.jpg

Also added some raised rivets, using Archers raised details decals, for some of the special fasteners just to break up the surface and make it stand out. (I know this is probably horribly inaccurate, however this kit is more of a "realistic" exercise for me)

IMG_00000395_zpsc6260af6.jpg

IMG_00000396_zpsfdb449c5.jpg

IMG_00000397_zpsef94392a.jpg

Also managed to get the spine of the beast detailed as of late. I used the same tools and techniques as on the under wing areas.

IMG_00000389_zps1d9e7ebe.jpg

IMG_00000390_zps5a5c2403.jpg

And finally, I also got some work done the control panel. I cut out a piece of styrene in the correct shape for the panel and used the CB Model Products Punch and Die set to create the room for the instruments. I love this tool, and it was amazingly well priced, great quality and comes with 12 different sizes! Mind you it doesn't have some of the largest or the smallest diameters available, but it is a very good middle ground with the most commonly used sizes.

Anyway, that's it for now. Hope to have more soon!

Cheers

Looking good, Harrison!

How do you like the Archer rivets? I have some (along with their weld seams) that I plan on using on my Hs 129, but have never used them before. I would love to hear your opinion and any tricks to working with them.

John

Archers rivets are very nice. Super easy to work with and if you don't like the spacing given to you or if you need to make a complex shape, I just measure out where the rivets will be and then cut out the decals to as small a square around the individual rivet as possible and just add them one by one.

All in all they are rather expensive but are very nice and easy to work with.

• 2 weeks later...