Spitfire IXe - help identifying please (pic)

nmayhew

Hello gents

I was looking at various Spitfire IX options and came across this pic of a IXe all bombed up...seems an excellent candidate to use Derek's ventral bomb carrier, but only if I can pin down what the codes on the fuselage looked like...

GeoffreyPageSpitfire.jpg

Any thoughts?

Pic is from Wiki / IWM, and captioned:

"Wing Commander A G Page, commander of 125 Wing, about to take off in his Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXE 'AGP' from Longues, Normandy. A 500-lb GP bomb is carried under the fuselage and two 250-lb GP bombs on wing racks. Later the same day, Page shot down his 14th aircraft, but was wounded and his aircraft damaged."

I can see the "AGP" under the spinner, and the pennant just below the cockpit, but were the codes AGP as well, and what was the serial?

Any other pics of this bird (I have trawled but could not find any)?

Or indeed, other IXe Spitfires which are fully bombed - they do seem quite rare beasts - where you can see all the markings etc?

Cheers

Nick

Hello gents

I was looking at various Spitfire IX options and came across this pic of a IXe all bombed up...seems an excellent candidate to use Derek's ventral bomb carrier, but only if I can pin down what the codes on the fuselage looked like...

GeoffreyPageSpitfire.jpg

Any thoughts?

Pic is from Wiki / IWM, and captioned:

"Wing Commander A G Page, commander of 125 Wing, about to take off in his Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXE 'AGP' from Longues, Normandy. A 500-lb GP bomb is carried under the fuselage and two 250-lb GP bombs on wing racks. Later the same day, Page shot down his 14th aircraft, but was wounded and his aircraft damaged."

I can see the "AGP" under the spinner, and the pennant just below the cockpit, but were the codes AGP as well, and what was the serial?

Any other pics of this bird (I have trawled but could not find any)?

Or indeed, other IXe Spitfires which are fully bombed - they do seem quite rare beasts - where you can see all the markings etc?

Cheers

Nick

I'd think the codes were AGP for sure since he's a winco. No idea on the serial number though.

@Fastzx

neither of those links work

can you re-post / edit with ones that do please?

or maybe post the pic direct here by copying image url from the relevant website, and using the image icon when you post here??

cheers

Nick

Hey Jon

I think I recall seeing that original discussion in my 'googlings' :)

It is strange that it is actually very difficult to pin down IXe Spits which are fully bombed

Like I said, if anyone could suggest another airframe which is well documented, then if the subject is interesting I'd probably go for it

Looking at Fundecals XVI as an alternative at the moment, but would prefer something with stripes if poss

Cheers

Nick

Keep it on topic please - I know all about the stripes

I am interested in the aircraft or other fully bombed IXe Spits that are clearly photographed

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick;

Always had an interest in Geoffrey Page's career. A remarkable, yet humble man. This Spit IXe would make a great project.

I'm not sure on the serial myself, but I know someone who will, and if they don't, no one will!

Give me a day, and I'll be right back with the appropriate info (hopefully!)

Regards;
Steve

USAAF 8th & 9th Air forces had neatly painted stripes for the most part. RAF 2nd Tac is well-known for slap-dash stripes. All had the same two days warning.

It had been hoped that we'd got rid of this "My gang's better than your gang" nonsense; research has shown that there was "neat" and "slapdash" (aka "hurried") in all Air Forces (and it was 2TAF, not Tac.) And please don't regurgitate that well-known photo of stripes being roughly re-applied over the worn items.