Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire MK VIII Cockpit

Boyleand

Hello All,

This is my first return to modeling after a 10-year break. I recently purchased Tamiya's Spitfire and will be starting the front office shortly. I'd like to detail the cockpit with some wiring.

Does anyone suggest a specific gauge(s) that worked well for them on a project such as this? Do you recommend a specific product?

Thanks everyone.

Hello Boyleand, welcome to LSP.

Like Jennings, I've amassed a good stash of waste wire in various gauges and use that for my models.

I've supplemented that by buying lead wire that anglers use. Similar soft wire is available through UMM and offers a number of gauges. http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_102

The benefit of the lead wire is it is easy to manipulate but it does take a bit of sticking.

Enjoy your stay here and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. There is sure to be someone who can help.

Cheers.

That's petty ambitious after a 10 year break. I use Barracuda's Spitfire cockpit sides and use threads of different colors and glue out side of the plane. I tack them to the frame with a needle full of Contact Cement. Using a tooth pick, I wick Super Glue onto the thread to solidify it. Thread is perfect for cable assys, especially using different colors. Remember to wire your plane as though it were real and subject to wire weakening vibration.

Most of the suggestions above in 1/32 are thicker than a 1/32nd pilot's finger, which is doggone big. I use fine thread, using different colors. This makes for great multi wire cables. I tack the cables to the frames using a very very small amount of Contact Cement with a needle point. Then when done, wick super glue onto the thread to stiffen it. Keep the "wires" tight, so engine vibration doesn't wiggle the wires back and forth until they brake. Using Barracuda's parts makes wiring easy and wow, do they look great. They also sell Rolls Royce marked engine heads.

Gray Matter Figures also make fine parts including a fully wired control column. Be very very careful building and mounting the engine and engine mounts, or you will find it almost impossible to get the metal panels to fit right. Also get the "Tamiya, How to build the Mark Vlll and Mark lV Spitfire" book. I got mine through Roll Models. It is definitely worth every dollar, pound, euro, yen, etc....