Revell He111 H6 1/32

Guest KingK_series

Does anyone know for certain which version this was? I would like to try this in 1/32. Details about markings, location, etc... would be appreciated.

p1769_heinkel_high_salvington_0320.jpg

eoyguy...

This is Heinkel He 111P Werke Nr. 1582 G1+FR of Kampfgeschwader 55.

It was shot down during a sortie to attack the Great West Aerodrome (or Harmondsworth...or better known today as Heathrow Airport!) on the 16th August 1940. It was attacked by RAF fighters over the Brighton area and force landed at High Salvington in Sussex. Uffz. Weber and Gefr. Moorfeld killed. Uffz Hornbostel, Gefr. Glaser and Lt. Theobald all captured.

Not sure as yet which "P" variant this He-111 was.

Hope this helps.

Regards;

Steve

Excellent, thanks very much Steve. That means little to no mod of the kit other than riddling it with bullet holes. Any known pics from the front? Looks like I can get the 1G from the decal sheet, will have to source the rest including the Griffon squadron badge (I assume it had one). Looks like the AIM decals sheet might come in handy. Any ideas on the color of the F? White or yellow? I am assuming yellow based on this machine AC. He-111P-2G1HP6KG55-1.jpg

I also assume this would be a good representation to work off from for the crashed bird?

Any thoughts on this famous photo (below)? I think its an H based on the location of the supercharger intakes and the waist mg's. I have been trying to find the squadron badge, I am strangely fascinated by it. Thanks again

Jason

germany_attacks_raf_fighter_command.jpg

Edited by eoyguy

Hi Jason;

Haven't found a photo from the front yet...but there maybe one somewhere. As to the identity of the colour of the F, going by contrast alone, it looks as though it maybe white. What we need is the RAF intelligence report from this aircraft. The Flypast forum would be a good place to ask as I've managed to get this info in the past. This report will highlight most of the technical and colour details for the aircraft.

Onto your second Heinkel...

This is Heinkel He-111 H-2 Werke Nr. 3305 V4+HV of Kampfgeschwader 1 "Hindenburg". It was shot down by Pilot Officer Greenwood of 253 Squadron on 30th August 1940 following an attack on Farnborough aerodrome, force landing at Haxted Farm, Lingfield at 11:35am.

Gefr. Reis Killed. Fw. Schnable, Uffz. Paeslack both wounded and captured together with Uffz. Staerk and Gefr. Groth.

Still trying to locate the badge, but it does appear on a poster depicting Luftwaffe emblems in the Battle of Britain printed years ago.

Regards;

Steve

attachment3_zpsab0ec363.jpgHi Jason;

What you could do with getting hold of is the RAF intelligence report for either aircraft. I'll attempt to attach a similar report for a Bf-110 that I'm particularly interested in. As you can see, the details given are very useful to us modellers! I usuall put a shout out on the Flypast forum, and some star usually comes up trumps with the info.

Regards;
Steve

OK, joined up, just waiting to be approved on the Flypast forum. Have you seen this book? Looks like just what we need, but it looks like I will need volume 2, which will cover just the period between 16-30 August of 1940. This one covers up to August 15.

http://www.wingleader.co.uk/product-p/luftcavol1.htm

Cheers

Jason

Edited by eoyguy

Absolutely! Got my copy through the post last week. Comes highly recommended from me, and I'm looking forward to Volume 2 in June.

Good luck on the forum. There's some very knowledgeable people there and a lot of authors too who have been researching this stuff for years.

Regards;
Steve

Guest KingK_series

eoyguy...

This is Heinkel He 111P Werke Nr. 1582 G1+FR of Kampfgeschwader 55.

It was shot down during a sortie to attack the Great West Aerodrome (or Harmondsworth...or better known today as Heathrow Airport!) on the 16th August 1940. It was attacked by RAF fighters over the Brighton area and force landed at High Salvington in Sussex. Uffz. Weber and Gefr. Moorfeld killed. Uffz Hornbostel, Gefr. Glaser and Lt. Theobald all captured.

Not sure as yet which "P" variant this He-111 was.

Hope this helps.

Regards;

Steve

Most likely a P4 - it has waist guns, or had, you can see the stand behind the broken perspex, but no MG17 tail gun, common on P6's, P3 and P5 were training aircraft,

Possibly a P2 but most likely a P4

- the difference between P2 and P4?

P2s retained the 8 x SC250 internal bomb bay, P4 carried external racks.

OK, joined up, just waiting to be approved on the Flypast forum. Have you seen this book? Looks like just what we need, but it looks like I will need volume 2, which will cover just the period between 16-30 August of 1940. This one covers up to August 15.

http://www.wingleader.co.uk/product-p/luftcavol1.htm

Cheers

Jason

What an incredible resource! I had no idea anything like this existed. I've had a facination with battle damaged aircraft ever since I served on a team that conducted studies of such while I was in Vietnam. Kind of like conducting a post-mortum of a crime. Going to order a copy right away. Just hope they ship to the US.

Jerry Peterson

Guest KingK_series

attachment3_zpsab0ec363.jpgHi Jason;

What you could do with getting hold of is the RAF intelligence report for either aircraft. I'll attempt to attach a similar report for a Bf-110 that I'm particularly interested in. As you can see, the details given are very useful to us modellers! I usuall put a shout out on the Flypast forum, and some star usually comes up trumps with the info.

Regards;

Steve

That is standard BF110 C4 armour.

BF110s added more but not sure where - not behind the pilot as factory fit.

almost certainly more in front of pilot , maybe over fuel tanks

I have 2 pics of field mod steel sheets hacked about and bolted in a very Heath Robinson manner behind the Pilot on BF110 C's during august 1940.

Similar pics of any old bits of metal bolted behind 109 pilots......in the same period.

Guest KingK_series

Excellent, thanks very much Steve. That means little to no mod of the kit other than riddling it with bullet holes. Any known pics from the front? Looks like I can get the 1G from the decal sheet, will have to source the rest including the Griffon squadron badge (I assume it had one). Looks like the AIM decals sheet might come in handy. Any ideas on the color of the F? White or yellow? I am assuming yellow based on this machine AC. He-111P-2G1HP6KG55-1.jpg

Any thoughts on this famous photo (below)? I think its an H based on the location of the supercharger intakes and the waist mg's. I have been trying to find the squadron badge, I am strangely fascinated by it. Thanks again

Jason

germany_attacks_raf_fighter_command.jpg

P2 onward mounted 2 MG15 at the waist and a fifth crewman

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KingK_series

Do you have a photo of a real one showing a bulge like this?

http://data3.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt7/revell/images/revell_67_of_82.jpg

http://data3.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt7/revell/images/revell_68_of_82.jpg

All the ones I've seen are somewhat flatter like the one on the Revell box art

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/He-111/Heinkel-He-111/images/Heinkel-He-111H16-nose-section-showing-MG-FF-MG15-calibre-guns-01.jpg

http://crimso.msk.ru/Images6/IN/IN-1003/20-3.jpg

The real images don't show the large step change in slope from the windscreen to the nose bubble as on the kit test shot.

the H6 contains clear parts for the earlier MG15 A stand as well as the later MGFF A stand.

Kit is ok, bomb racks are a bit disappointing, and deserve better -