1/24 Airfix Spitfire - escape from the 33 year shelf of doom

gregv

hello all

apologies for the long delay, I have been picking away at the Spitfire, but what with being off work for two months and some good weather I find it hard to be inside.

Was at my mom's the other day and went through the old family photo albums, found this gem; pardon the rough quality, it's just an iPhone snap of the photo:

IMG_4377_zps8574b2b2.jpg

Ahh, atmospheric memories.... love the lamp.

Part 7:

Been picking away at the engine bay, decided to swap in the formers as entire units from the donor kit:

IMG_4462_zps59866c9d.jpg

IMG_4463_zpsa8b27306.jpg

IMG_4581_zps657a7978.jpg

IMG_4582_zps037f42ee.jpg

Spent some careful hours trimming and shimming, they turned out well I think.

Then it was onto the cowlings, which while they fit much better than the first time around, still didn't fit great. Starting on the port side I massaged the plastic by hand until it fit the contours well enough, then had to extend the aft end a bit plus adjust the opening for the exhausts:

IMG_4583_zps51f28bb7.jpg

IMG_4594_zps8f5195e6.jpg

My brother suggested using small brass screws to hold the cowlings on, that way they would be snug to the airframe but still removable to view the engine; I went one better and sourced some very small rare earth magnets, one goes in the cowling and one in the matching spot in the formers, two per side panel:

IMG_4587_zpseaec4275.jpg

This way the cowling sits in place, gets sucked up tight to the fuse, and doesn't pop off when you handle the model; wish I'd thought of this beforehand, I would have done the same with the prop shaft....

IMG_4594_zps8f5195e6.jpg

Strbr'd side done as well, took 1/5 the time of the port side:

IMG_4592_zpsb7ca2581.jpg

Just need to get the top cowl done, then I can tidy up & paint all the cowlings and finally move onto the rest of the airframe. Have to say I'm shocked by how much time the engine & cowlings has taken, but almost through!

cheers & thanks for looking!

greg v.

Edited by gregv

Looks fantastic. That is one 'big' Spitfire.

Great to improve it and preserve it for years to come.

Will be watching for an update.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump!

Where's the update! :D

Ha!

No update, although I have finished the fitting work on the cowlings including the magnets used to keep them in place. It was quite a tedious job I must say.

I've been trying to get back at this to finish it off, but time as always seems to be in short supply. Doesn't help that I'm binging on Breaking Bad on Netflix....

cheers

gv

Edited by gregv

• 3 months later...

hello all

small update. Yup, still working on the same kit.... although I can see the finish line in the distance!

Added the tail wheel, suitable aluminum rod insert to beef everything up first:

IMG_5784_zps084bf19a.jpg

IMG_5807_zpsd4764ed0.jpg

cleaned up the original tires:

IMG_5820_zps45ed8d59.jpg

bent & trimmed the main gear legs and added some material back to the top of the one remaining original cover:

eff5e777-3046-451e-81c5-db7bf56d1074_zps

took a break from that and dipped the transparencies in Klear/Future/Pledge whatever you want to call it (my first time, cool stuff!)

IMG_5808_zpsdb59281a.jpg

then glued the main gear into place:

IMG_5928_zps5cc8359b.jpg

I realized afterwards that the gear legs were likely molded at their maximum extension so they'd be the correct length when retracted, and to be honest I could have angled them forward a teeny bit more, but overall I'm quite pleased that this model is back on it's feet for likely the first time in 30-odd years....

IMG_5825_zpsc724f4ef.jpg

IMG_5826_zpsc3cd392e.jpg

Took a while but some nice photoetch came in from NZ so I could finish up the cowlings:

IMG_5876_zps54832d11.jpg

IMG_5919_zps8130ab30.jpg

IMG_5923_zpsce5b1d8c.jpg

IMG_5924_zpse2982c3b.jpg

They are now primed and being fine-tuned before a coat of camo to match the rest.

After the cowlings are done it's adding the harness, fairing the windscreen back into place and attaching a few odds & ends, then it's done!

thanks for looking

cheers

greg v.

Edited by gregv

• 1 month later...

Small update, cowlings are finally painted. Took a while, they seemed to reject any form of paint until I shot them with Mr. Surfacer 1500 spray, beautiful stuff. I think I ended up painting them about six times. In contrast the green went on in about 5 minutes without a hitch...

Oddly, the custom dark earth mix I'd used earlier on the rear horizontal plus for general touch-ups didn't seem to match the area where the cowls went; I got it close but not perfect, it looks worse in the photos than it is in the flesh:

IMG_6335_zpsf94c23b7.jpg

Once I blend them in a bit more and add some exhaust stains I think they should be fine.

Couldn't help popping the canopy on plus the rudder just to have a look, it is starting to look like a complete aircraft now:

IMG_6337_zps9273ab61.jpg

The Radu Brinzan harness is almost together (smallest thing I have ever assembled before, very challenging but also very rewarding) and once that's in place I can affix the transparenices and wrap it up.

thanks for looking

greg v.