F18 Tail fin rudders

rohan

I've usually seen them angled inwards but if hydraulic power is off and the controls aren't locked, I suppose angled out is possible. Most of the google images I've seen show stagnant hornets with the rudders in trail or angled inwards. There is one shot of an adversary hornet with at least one rudder angled outward. I can't make a call on the opposite rudder though, if it's angled outward, it's only a couple degrees as there's not much light showing through the gap between the top of the rudder and the bottom of the stab cap.

Thanks Tim. Yes I thought the same as you. If the hydraulics are off and not locked they should move anywhere you want them either side's rudder completely independent of the other. Funny how you have seen them inwards and Ive seen them outwards.

All of these photos were taken on the same day. All are from VMFA-115 and all aircraft are obviously shut down.

First jet has both rudders toed outboard.

Second jet has both rudders straight.

Third jet has both rudders going to starboard.

Fourth jet has both rudders toed inboard.

Photos prove they are all correct, so display your model as you see fit. If anyone tells you you're wrong, ask them how many hours they have working on or around the real aircraft. Just sayin' :D

Dave

DSCF4784-1_zpsb0eedba2.jpg

DSCF4790_zps159e7932.jpg

DSCF4791_zpsd839d08c.jpg

DSCF4814_zps8032e8a0.jpg

Cool thanks for that. That settles it. Many thanks for your time. Ive made them slightly both outward. Ive done a 3 Sqn RAAF low viz markings F18A Op FALCONER (OIF) 2003. I might post it here but how do you post photos?