P-38's

phantom

Early airplanes had more streamlined lower forward engine nacelles, different shaped radiators on the booms, turbocharger intake on the boom sides under the trailing edge of the outer wing panels was a bit smaller and shaped different on the F and G, turbos were partially covered, rounded windscreen with seperate armoured glass, different instrument panel depending on model, rear canopy over radio equipment was one piece with clear internal bracing and visable armour plate brace (H had no clear internal bracing), small equipment differences in cockpit, plus a number of other small detail differences.

Cutting Edge conversion is rare and expensive, Greymatter by Rutman is available. See their website.

John

• 3 weeks later...

P-38 is just one of the most beautifull airplanes in the history!!!! That's it!!! I hope that the early versions wil be covered one day by some manufactorer! As somebody who work for Trumpeter-Hobby Boss models, i always try to convince them to just convert the moulds of their P-38J/L to earlier versions! Of course they never reveale their intentions for the future releases, but...i'll keep trying!!!

:thumbsup:Best wishes to all for 2013!!!

Yeah I second that I have three 1/32 P-38s to finsh and build. One is a P-38M the rest are for Early Ones. If some one come out with one ( Tamiya you hear me :please: ). I would sell all my 1/48th off and buy three more!!!!

Why doesn't someone do the complete P38 F/G/H it would sell like hot cakes!

The challenge for manufacturers is that almost every plane has its fans and devotees who swear a kit would "sell like hot cakes." Evaluating just what that potenial is can be dicey since the cost of molds is ridiculous, and there is always the question of what region would buy the kit. Asian sales of WW2 subjects tend to focus on Japanese and German topics, along with planes/ships that opposed them (notice the popularity of US ship models that ended up on the bottom). Dragon's 1/35th armor sells an inexhaustable supply of German tanks and their many, often trivial variants.

I have a Trumpeter P-38 in my stash with the Jerry Rutman F/G conversion, but would love to have an OOB early P-38 that would avoid all the B.S. of cutting and pasting. Still, my money would be on a Mosquito or Spitfire Mk. I Battle of Britain to find far more commercial success than a P-38 F/G/H. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Bill Cross