New Shiden Kai in 1/32 coming from Hasegawa in 2013.

Thomas V

I can't help but believe they would sell a new 1/32 F4U-1/1A/1D kits at the rate of about 5000:1 over a George though...

You may be correct in the US and Europe but Tamiya's main market is it's domestic market; that's where they make the vast majority of their money so over there they'd probably sell a new Shiden kit at the rate of about 5000:1 over a Corsair!

Guest Peterpools

Just guessing, I can't believe Tamiya and Hasegawa's main income comes from it's home market, rather then the US, Canada and European countries combined.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I can't help but believe they would sell a new 1/32 F4U-1/1A/1D kits at the rate of about 5000:1 over a George though...

My thoughts exactly. Especially with Hasegawa's fascination with endless versions and color schemes with the use of decals and inserts. With minor changes, they could do the -1, -1a, -1d, and -2(n). With a bit more work, the -4, -5, -7, and AU-1.

Things might have changed somewhat, but when I worked for Beatties in the 1980's, we were part of Richard Kohnstam Ltd who were the importers to the UK for Tamiya. We had a visit from the Japanese one time, and I managed to ask one of the chaps this very question, because we wondered at some of the subject matter choices even then. We were told that almost 90% of Tamiyas output was sold on their home market. That did include a lot of lines that never came west of course, such as their Samurai castles, and the wonderful 24th scale RC cars they did, but even so; 90% Japan, 10% rest of the ENTIRE world.

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Thanks for the news, this is exciting!

Corsair? Who cares? Besides, there ARE ALREADY A FEW CORSAIR kits.

Well, but anything, that was not released by Tamiya is not worth building...

Guest Nigelr32

Off topic, but then a lot of this thread is... i wonder if the likes of Trumpeter, Academy and Hobby Boss has damaged the home market for Tamiya and Hasegawa.

Does anyone know if Hasegawa's prices are OTT in Japan as well??

While nowhere near 90 percent, indeed majority of products from both Hasegawa and Tamiya are sold on their home market. To be more accurate,

they seek subjects that can pay off production costs themselves, taking into account Japanese market only, everything else is a pure profit/bonus.

Before mentioned is not only hobby related, such manufacturing policies are key in Japanese economy.

Take into example Osprey in 72nd. scale, sole reason why is being done is basing of the real aircraft on Japanese territory.

Guest Peterpools

Still find it hard to believe that Tamiya and Hasegawa earn more dollars from the home market then the US, Canada and Europe.

Peter

Hasegawa should start on some interesting Twin engine planes such as a Betty or a Nick or Dinah. A Betty with a Baka bomb would be great. They don't have to go the Spitfire and P-51D detail level like Tamiya or ZM does. Hasegawa kits look great like their P-40, Jack, Tony, Frank. That level is perfectly fine as there will always be aftermarket stuff to dress up the cockpits, etc. heck even a Pete would be welcome.

Jon