IL-2M3

b757captain

Just finished the Hobby Boss IL-2M3. Mostly OOB but with Eduard's Interior and Exterior sets. The interior set with the pre-printed panels is great now that my old-man eyesight is kicking in :) . A first for me was using Mr. Color acrylics. I recently moved to China and while it's possible to move models back and forth, I have yet to figure out how to move paints, if that's even possible. I have always used MM enamels, and not entirely sold on acrylics yet but they are working well on the projects currently on the bench (Ju-88 and 1/24th Huey).

IL201.jpg

IL202.jpg

IL203.jpg

IL205.jpg

IL204.jpg

The kit is pretty good, though there are fit issues with the fuselage and upper wing at the root. Next time I might try attaching the upper wing sections to each fusleage half first. Otherwise a nice kit. Almost as good as the 1/8th scale r/c kit I designed a few years ago!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by b757captain

Looks great!

I think that if you use the Mr. Color Leveling Thinner (lacquer) with the acrylic paints, you get the same thing as the Mr. Color non-acrylic paints if you prefer those.

Doug

These are the kit decals, pretty good actually, went down well, they react well to Micro Set and Sol too.

I know it's too "clean", but I'm essentially trapped geographically (modeling-wise) and am limited to one source for supplies. Thus paints., finishes, etc., are extremely limited. I can only use LuckyModel in Hong Kong and the limiting factor is what they stock. They have most Tamiya paints back-ordered for months at a time and only about half the Mr. Color line. For the last few months no clear finishes of any kind, so any weathering done tends to leave a very soft final finish.

Even without using Leveling Thinner the paint airbrushed really nice. I'm using a Tamiya airbrush and their (battery powered) compressor. The setup works well and is better than the Aztec i was using before.

Mark