Bf109F-4/Z Trop, 3./JG27, Hans Joachim Marseille, N. Africa, Feb. 1942

dodgem37

Had to strip her down and start over.  Not something I wanted to do but the vinyl I no longer use made a mess of things.  Continuing thru the fog.

DSCN6102_zpsokis180o.jpg

From the top.  I was going to do this aircraft, then I was going to do a different pilots' aircraft and gave away the kit decals, then I decided to do this aircraft.  Luckily I had 3 sets of after market decals with which to mark the model.  14 and swastika are from home made masks.

DSCN6103_zps1i6bejmr.jpg

Painted the rudder a concoction of Radome Tan and White to get a linen value, then made a mixture to match a color chip from a Monogram book on Luftwaffe Colors and Markings.  Gently sanded the rudder to expose the linen threads.

DSCN6104_zps62tlolfk.jpg

Lost some Balkencruz during 14 masking phase.  Oh well.  Chips and flaking.  Poor mask adhesive made 14 fuzzy.  Looks good from a mile away, tho.

DSCN6105_zpsb3rwu7vg.jpg

Some exposed aluminum on flap.  Exposed red primer on aileron.  Many decal makers and model manufacturers locate the flap up/down degree indicators on the top of the flap.  From a couple of standpoints it is easier for them to locate them there on the top plan illustration than it is for them to include another drawing.  But the indicator goes where I've located the decal, on the shady side of the flap when the flap is in the up position.

DSCN6106_zpspyudtlww.jpg

Scratch built air filter in the open position.  Some aluminum on back of propeller blades.  I need to remove the right-most 'ZU' as it would no be on exposed aluminum.

DSCN6107_zpsmtvh4oji.jpg

Chipping and flaking.

DSCN6108_zpseo8gkhgf.jpg

Big bad flake.  Oh well.  Exposed red primer on aileron.

DSCN6109_zpsjxfa84td.jpg

More of the same.  Other side.  Need to throw some gloss on the light bulb at the rudder.

DSCN6110_zpssn52r5aw.jpg

Same fuzzy problem here also.  I forgot to sand down the demarcation line before putting on the Balkencruz.  Now a ridge run thru it.  Oh well.  Sprayed aluminum as a base over the yellow/blue before laying down the yellow.  This neutralized the background value so I didn't have to pour on the yellow to get yellow.  You can see some aluminum halo.  Oh well.

DSCN6111_zpsemrrqehi.jpg

Nothing special to say here.

More below.

Edited by dodgem37

DSCN6113_zps3bvbenlp.jpg

Red primer at Aileron.  Chipping and flaking.

DSCN6114_zpsb6okwb1m.jpg

Chipping and flaking.  Had to rebuild Aileron up/down mechanism housings.  Still need to paint.  Lightly sanded Aileron to expose red primer.

DSCN6115_zps6aou5xle.jpg

Bad flake.  But I can live with it.  Have not chipped yellow or wheel wells.

DSCN6116_zpsg9ppwptk.jpg

Scratch built wheel wells.

DSCN6117_zpsujfovppb.jpg

Exposed red primer at Aileron.  Chipping and wear.  No flaking.  Yea!  Well, not much.

DSCN6118_zpsf37lhiql.jpg

Exposed red primer at Horizontal Stabilizer Elevator

DSCN6119_zpsaebxbuso.jpg

Same thing.

DSCN6120_zpsxwg9q20i.jpg

From the bottom.

DSCN6102_zpsokis180o.jpg

From the top, again.

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark