Photo Etch Questions

mbnz77

Hi all I am new to posting on these forums but have been admiring the work showcased here for some time.

I am working on my first large scale subject (my 4th build to date)Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire mk ix. I am working on the seat harness at the moment and would like to attempt annealing them.

The problem is I have already primed the harnesses (along with all the etch earlier). I assume that I can't anneal the parts with primer on?

Should I remove the primer first? If so how?

Suggestions please!

Hello, and welcome to LSP!

:post1:

You can indeed anneal them with the primer on, but it will catch fire and smell awful (ask me how I know...). No harm is done though, other than setting off some smoke alarms, but I recommend you remove the primer first. Depending on what it is, either some form of alcohol (not beer!) or lacquer thinner should do the job.

Good luck.

Kev

Hi Kev

Thanks for the welcome!

So I followed your advice (drank the beer), I managed to remove the primer with some revell "painta cleaner" I found lying around. Anyway I carried out the annealing with a lighter however everything's looking a bit black now. Is this normal? Can I go ahead and prime over this?

Cheers.

I'd definitely give it a clean first mate, as the black stuff could just be soot, or mostly so. If you have any metho or isopropyl alcohol lying around, a quick scrub with that should sort you out.

Kev

The black could be soot or could be the tin covering on Eduard-produced PE (which I suspect the Tamiya PE is, as most kit makers contract with Eduard for their PE). If it's not soot, you'll be fine priming and painting it.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!