AMS Resin A-4C Argentine conversion (Trumpy)

Harold

Always be aware that the parts will have to cast and removed from rubber molds without damage. Plus I try to compensate for shrinkage as well. Nearly all the things I do are a fraction over scale. (Due to restrictions of the kit itself it isn't always feasible) The resin shrinks a very small amount, but the rubber has a tendency to shrink as it ages too.

Harold,

there is indeed a risk to get a slightly underscaled part as I had to work from the kit parts. Otherwise, a lathe was mandatory to build a competely new wheel. Note I'm not particularly worried as the difference will not be really noticeable considering the wheel size. I'm neither worried regarding the possibility to mold the wheel when I look at your cockpits ;-)

Harold,

there is indeed a risk to get a slightly underscaled part as I had to work from the kit parts. Otherwise, a lathe was mandatory to build a competely new wheel. Note I'm not particularly worried as the difference will not be really noticeable considering the wheel size. I'm neither worried regarding the possibility to mold the wheel when I look at your cockpits ;-)

Yep, the wheels wouldn't be an issue though. The shrinkage would be so minor, it wouldn't have an effect. I was thinking of the very thin parts like IP's seat buckets and belts, etc. If they are mastered too close to scale they would be see through!!

You'll be happy to read that the wheel is nearly ended (I've already glued 31 bits of plastic!).

I just have to make and add the last three parts (axle cover, tire valve & lock screw: an easy job!) and this will be ready.

Next task: the wiper...

Be a little bit patient and everything will be ready!

Here you go: the measurements are in 1/48 scale. Thanks to Jason West for the art work.

A-448thwipermeasurements.png

Thanks Harold!

FYI, I ended the wheel master last Friday evening during my club meeting.

I also started the wiper. If I had no fear regarding the possibility to mold the wheel, the situation is different for the wiper. The parts shall be so thin that I'll have to cheat... I started using upscaled plans but the dimensions were off...!

Thanks Harold!

FYI, I ended the wheel master last Friday evening during my club meeting.

I also started the wiper. If I had no fear regarding the possibility to mold the wheel, the situation is different for the wiper. The parts shall be so thin that I'll have to cheat... I started using upscaled plans but the dimensions were off...!

That is what I was talking about. Some parts are just too thin to be in scale. Over scale is the only way to do them.

Short update!

Wiper is done, main arm is done and detailed, secundary arm is done but will be detailed this evening. It took me a noticeable amount of time to cut the full device into sections which you may easily cast...

I've yet to build some small bits such as the windshield wiper stops or the small link between both arms (they will have to be too thick as ideally we should use photoetched parts) and an unidentified part located near the wiper base... I've sometimes the feeling that the smaller are the parts to scratchbuild, the longer is the time required to get a correct result!

I'm not sure everything will be done today but you should not ask for long to get all the bits.

Cheers.

Hi!

Note that you may use the F kit as well as the sprues are absolutely identical and it is in fact far closer to a E!

You'll be happy to know that the last parts of the wiper device were ended last Friday.

I also took some pictures to make an instruction sheet. This is indeed necessary as I had to divide the system into multiple parts to ease casting as much as possible. So assembly of the seven parts will surely not be self-explanatory. As the pictures of this version are not common (nothing in the Squadron Walkaround, the Detail & Scale, etc.), this is a mandatory step. I'll also add some information regarding the modifications that could not be part of the conversion set (fuselage panels and vents modifications).

I'll send the parts soon to Harold and will make the instructions in the meanwhile.

Cheers.

Hi!

Note that you may use the F kit as well as the sprues are absolutely identical and it is in fact far closer to a E!

You'll be happy to know that the last parts of the wiper device were ended last Friday.

I also took some pictures to make an instruction sheet. This is indeed necessary as I had to divide the system into multiple parts to ease casting as much as possible. So assembly of the seven parts will surely not be self-explanatory. As the pictures of this version are not common (nothing in the Squadron Walkaround, the Detail & Scale, etc.), this is a mandatory step. I'll also add some information regarding the modifications that could not be part of the conversion set (fuselage panels and vents modifications).

I'll send the parts soon to Harold and will make the instructions in the meanwhile.

Cheers.

I got your e-mail message, but my e-mail isn't working at the moment. When they are though with their servicing the site, I will respond.

Harold

The antennas on the tail will be available in the conversion?

Are talking about the circular ones up on the fin?

I haven't done anything for those yet. I will have to figure out a way of casting them in resin. If not, they can be made fairly easily with sprue or lead wire.

Harold