Me 262 Stormbird

martin.bavaria

Hi Guys,

got a minor update... A lot of time put into the model and you don't even see any result! :evil_laugh: Okay, I was aware of that, riveting costs time!

So what's the current state? I was trying to give the surface a well worn look, so I sanded and sratched between the panel lines to get this "wavy" look. I'm quite pleased with that. Let's see how it comes out with paint on. The fuselage is almost done, currently I'm working on the wings.

First some pics of the fuse...

M003.jpg

M002.jpg

M001.jpg

After the rivet and scratching orgy I sanded over the whole surface and put some "sharp" turpentine on to smooth all out.

I wasn't pleased with the nozzles of the engines. Actually there is the inner nozzle cone and the outer covering. At the kits part this is just a seam... So I cut this inner "ring" out, filed the covering thin and put in a new cone made of plastic card.

M005.jpg

The next is about the bomb rack. Trumpy made poor detail on the underside of the rack and I tried to scratch some detail... Poor reference but compared to the ETC 500 (MDC's JU88 rack and Dragon BF 109E4)... Drilled out the openings, clued plastic card in and put some putty on. Primed and I'm happy with that! Just needs some smoothing and polishing... Ehm, the brown rod is from an tow hook. :closedeyes:

M004.jpg

In the back I placed the Dragon part for comparision.

Thanks for looking in and hope you like it!

Cheers,

Martin

I love what you are doing with the fuselage. I have often thought of doing an unpainted 262. Metal with all the putty on the joins, the method you are using would be quite suitable.

Thanks for sharing and keep at it.

:popcorn:

Hi Macbain,

that was some sort of intention with all that work. As in the title of this thread: kind a test build!

...doing an unpainted 262. Metal with all the putty on the joins, the method you are using would be quite suitable...

And with the 262 "Swallow" still waiting on top of the stash... Got the Eduard Big Ed, some barrels and thinking about wheels and other goodies... :popcorn:

:m0152:

Hope get some update posted.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi guys,

as promised some update!

I see light at the end of the tunnel! Should be no train... :evil_laugh: Got the riveting done, got one wing sanded and added some 0,25mm plastic cards under the flaps. It's more like a smooth step than this rough as in the kit.

I'm quite pleased with the result but look yourself! What do you think?!?

This is the area I wasn't happy with the kit!

N0006.jpg

And here the stormbird...

N0001.jpg

N0002.jpg

N0003.jpg

N0004.jpg

Going to have some issues with the gap at the wing joint... But not too much trouble I guess.

N0005.jpg

I'm really looking forward to glueing all parts together and get the paint job started...

Cheers,

Martin

Hi guys,

as promised some update!

I see light at the end of the tunnel! Should be no train... :evil_laugh: Got the riveting done, got one wing sanded and added some 0,25mm plastic cards under the flaps. It's more like a smooth step than this rough as in the kit.

I'm quite pleased with the result but look yourself! What do you think?!?

This is the area I wasn't happy with the kit!

N0006.jpg

And here the stormbird...

N0001.jpg

N0002.jpg

N0003.jpg

N0004.jpg

Going to have some issues with the gap at the wing joint... But not too much trouble I guess.

N0005.jpg

I'm really looking forward to glueing all parts together and get the paint job started...

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Matin ,

That Me 262 looks very familar? Is it the one in the Deutsches Musuem. .I like what you done to your A/C love the rivet detail

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

That Me 262 looks very familar? Is it the one in the Deutsches Musuem. ...

Hi Willi,

jepp, that's Hans Guido Mutke "White 3" in the Deutsches Museum. Got some crappy pics of that bird... The battery on my cam was empty, took the pics with my cell phone!

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Willi,

jepp, that's Hans Guido Mutke "White 3" in the Deutsches Museum. Got some crappy pics of that bird... The battery on my cam was empty, took the pics with my cell phone!

Cheers,

Martin

I have Herr Mutkes autographed photo of this machine. I got this while I was a partner at www.stormbirds.com

Loving this build of my all time favourite aircraft :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nigelr32

Hi Martin,

I just looked through your build, and have to say..Awesome!!

I checked my Trumpy 262 a-1 and found i also have those wing sink marks :BANGHEAD2: Did you get rid of them before you decided to give the skin a stressed look?

I work in Germany quite a lot, normally South of Stuttgart. Are there any good War museums in that region?

I am really looking forward to see some paint on that stressed skin!!

Thanks guys,

hope to get some update this weekend!

Now concerning museums... Nige, you should check Museum Sinsheim, about one hour drive from Stuttgart. They got a huge collection, some topshelf, some not very convincing (fantasy restauration, if you know what I mean!) First impressions: http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/en/junkers-ju-88

The stressed look on the skin: kind of making a virtue of necessity. For me it was the best solution to deal with those sinkmarks. Now afterwards (almost the whole aircraft done): it's very time consuming! Scratching, re-riveting, rescribing, sanding... But I like the look now very much. At the moment I'm doing the engine gondolas and the flaps, rudders and stuff.

Cheers,

Martin

Guest Nigelr32

Now concerning museums... Nige, you should check Museum Sinsheim, about one hour drive from Stuttgart. They got a huge collection, some topshelf, some not very convincing (fantasy restauration, if you know what I mean!) First impressions: http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/en/junkers-ju-88

Cheers,

Martin

Oh dear..what have they done to the nose of that '88???

Hi Martin,

What city do you live in ? I don`t get to Germany much anymore .I was born in Mainz , but have an Uncle in Augsburg .

I`ve been to Sinsheim long ago but never seen the Ju88 must be new ! I do remember the HE111 it`s still hanging around :) Do they still have the Ju52 with all the bullet holes?

Your 262 is looking good ,cant wait to see it with some color :speak_cool:

Willi

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear..what have they done to the nose of that '88???

Hi Nige,

it hurts every time I see the poor JU... :wacko:

Hi Martin,

What city do you live in ? I don`t get to Germany much anymore .I was born in Mainz , but have an Uncle in Augsburg .

Hi Willi,

I'm living in a small city east of Munich... to small to have model shop! The next one is about one hour drive...

As the time passed I haven't work too much on the stormbird. But the last few days I found some time! We've got progress! And I can almost smell some color!

Okay, so what happened?!? Finished riveting, scribing and sanding on the airframe. I'm kind of nervous how it comes out with color on...

O0001.jpg

Finished the inside of the cockpit (backplate behind the pilot's seat). Did some filtering, drybrushing and washing. Just to get the feeling again.

O0002.jpg

O0003.jpg

Added the engine cowling to the airframe after sanding the edges extra thin. You can almost read a newspaper through the plastic...

The right one, not much cowling left after I cut all unwanted parts away!

O0004.jpg

I had to fill the underside of the wing with plastic card and putty. Sanded, scribed and riveted (what eles...?!?),primed it...

O0008.jpg

And now with the engine on.

O0010.jpg

The left cowling... some more plastic left (just to get a different look, the cowling consisted of many different parts, which could be taken away separately. The Trumpeter part is very thick and consists of two halfs...)

O0005.jpg

O0006.jpg

Here I left the inside untouched, cause you don't see it anymore afterwards.

O0007.jpg

And engine on.

O0009.jpg

Okay guys, hope it's not too boring... Got some more pictures in the next post!

Thanks for looking in and happy modeling!

Cheers,

Martin

So guys, here we go...

Got some more! Working on the tiny fiddly bits that tend to fall down on the floor and "pling" jump away! Working with a kind of "breathing technique", I call it "apnoe modeling"... Don't try this at home! :evil_laugh:

More serious...

Got some different sets of MDC's bombs... Still don't know if I should add aftermarket, since the only AM is the belts. But they do look better than the kit's bombs...

O0011.jpg

Also finished the "Wikingerschiff", Plastic card, putty, some spare parts of other kits and some spare photo etched parts.

O0012.jpg

(Sorry, a bit too dark, could't get it brighter...) :closedeyes:

Replaced the circular antenna with some spare PE.

O0013.jpg

And the pitot tube: made a new one from injection needles...

O0014.jpg

And a comparison of the scratched pitot and the one from the kit...

O0015.jpg

Okay, more to come, when I find the time to get airgun started!

Cheers,

Martin