Converting the Trumpeter 1/24 ME-109 G-2 to Marseilles F-4Trop

eoyguy

Ok, I think I am fairly clear about what would need to be done to convert the Trumpy 1/24 Me-109 G-2 to one of Marseilles F-4 trops. Now, I'm not looking to correct the errors in the kit (my sanity is frail after all), just trying to make sure I have the detailed differences between the two clarified. 2 things that I am not 100 percent sure about. I have read variously that the kits paddle bladed props are correct for the F-4Z/Trop, but some have stated they should be the narrower version. Which would be correct? The second thing is would the supercharger intake be the beefier version as seen on the G? The kit part being the earlier,thinner version. I have already scratched the tropical filter for the intake and beefed up it up, so I hope thats the case, but I can always undo it if necessary. Since the kit came with 2 sets of clear parts, I plan on attempting to sand off the heavy framing of the G-2 and replace it with the lighter framing of the F-4 just by masking and painting it on. Thoughts, suggestions(other than stick with the Hasegawa 1/32 kit? I have that one and will use it as reference as needed)? The other necessary changes I am fairly clear on, and did most of them when messing around with the 1/32 21st Century kit that I tried making little more accurate. I hope to use this one alongside the Hasegawa 1/24 Kubelwagen and Marseille figure.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by eoyguy

I have found the following referencing F-4/Z Trop:

Item 1: Several machines were equiped with a propeller with significantly wider blades. Prien & Rodeike, pg 27

Item 2: Trop F-4's always used late (large) supercharger air intake as part of the trop equipment. ibid, Pg32.

F-4Z used the GM-1 injection system, requiring an enlarged oil cooler beneath the engine which MAY have been the Fo870 oil cooler standard on early G-series aircraft. ibid, pg. 27

Specific to Marsaille: Marsaille's F-4 WNr. 10 059, sand filter, deep oil cooler, early blades. Photos taken June 1, 1942. ibid, pg. 46

Good luck with finding additional material.

Sincerely,

Mark

Yep, I had to figure out which ones to fill and which to scribe when I did the 21st Century kit, which has much of the G DNA in it. The small one on the side of the nose was the biggest pain for me, being on a slightly sloped surface, which spells disaster for me every time. I will probably draw those in after painting (should I make it that far) with a fine pencil.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by eoyguy

Do not forget that F wings were single sheet on top, so some panel lines will need to be filled.

Matt Low knows the details here I believe (matt knows everything :) ) or google frank crenshaw on ARC 'not another 109' where he draws some nice arrows on his build showing what's what etc

Ok, thanks for the info. I am comparing the Trump panels lines, fillers, etc...to the Hasegawa 1/32 F kit to see what needs to go and what needs to be added. So far its about as expected. I recall the wing skin being a little different from my 21st Century kit experience, but didn't note it when comparing parts last night.I will take another look to see what I have to work with on the Trump kit.

Cheers

Jason