1/32 scale ME-262 b-1a/U1 (aka nightfighter)

wedfactory

I had won this kit at a raffle in my local IPMS club. It is 1/32 scale ME-262 kit about 30+ years old. So needless to say it does not have the best detailing per today's standard.

case in point, the cockpit tub, the instrument panels and the crew...

100_8044.jpg

100_8042.jpg

100_8043.jpg

The crew have been ejected fro the kit, not to be replaced. the cockpit tub needed to be cut down as it is to long and the instrument panel is being ditched for a better version.

At this point I have file 13ed the crew. The new cockpit required a two point attack to make it look right. One was the new cockpit tub and the second was the new cockpit deck level. On the kit the opening for the two crew members is to large. It is too long.

100_8039.jpg

After looking at the 72 scale 262 I have done and a 48 scale 262 I have yet to build I used the 48 scale to scale up the cockpit deck.

So after a little trial and error and some of the PE set I picked up I now have this as a cockpit deck..

100_8093.jpg

I haven't figured out the front dash just yet but will worry about it later.

On the cockpit tub first I had to cut it down to size. I cut out about 3/4" out of the middle of the tub and glued the front and rear together..

100_8057.jpg

100_8053.jpg

I also added plastic strips to widen the side control panels to the correct size. I then added some pre-colored photoetch controls to the side panels and built new instrument panels

100_8064.jpg

100_8522.jpg

to create the side walls I used sheet plastic for HO train building lap siding. I glued this on backwards so the "siding" faces out. when i glue this into the fuselage it will curve inwards to create the side walls for the cockpit.

100_8524.jpg

100_8525.jpg

That is were I am at right now. I have to finish the cockpit tub then glue it into the fuselage.

I will have to rescribe the kit as many of the panels lines are missing.

Nice work on the old Revell kit. She was a source of wonder when I was a kid, now a source of pain for me.....I like the work you have done so far, nice solution to the hideous cockpit....Like the p.e. as well.....looking forward to the next installment.....

Keep the updates coming.... :popcorn:

Thor, fellow classic basher...... :ninja:

Wow, cool build! I have two of these kits in the stash, and they are indeed very very basic. Not as completely inaccurate as everyone would have you believe either, by my reckoning.

Kev

• 2 months later...

I picked up my 32 scale ME-262 again, stopped working on it because I didn't like the color mix in the cockpit. The eduard PE and the paint colors were to far off.

here is what I am talking about....

100_8524.jpg

The colors are to far apart in the cockpit between the instruments and the side walls of the cockpit.

I mixed some colors together tonight and now have this...

100_8828.jpg

100_8827.jpg

the seats in the above pics are the original gray so you can see how much closer the new mixed color is.

Next major hurdle is the landing gear wells. the ones on the kit are completely wrong...this is what the kit has...

100_8830.jpg

this is what the actual looks like...

mgb_S_back_fuse.jpg

The pic above is looking aft into the right side gear well. The arced metal to the left with the yellow wiring is the outside skin of the aircraft. The large cylinder on the right side is actually the underside off the cockpit. So in the actual aircraft he wheel wells just open into the fuselage, there is no top to them. More things I have to figure how to scratch build.. :frantic:

I picked up my 32 scale ME-262 again, stopped working on it because I didn't like the color mix in the cockpit. The eduard PE and the paint colors were to far off.

here is what I am talking about....

100_8524.jpg

The colors are to far apart in the cockpit between the instruments and the side walls of the cockpit.

I mixed some colors together tonight and now have this...

100_8828.jpg

100_8827.jpg

the seats in the above pics are the original gray so you can see how much closer the new mixed color is.

Next major hurdle is the landing gear wells. the ones on the kit are completely wrong...this is what the kit has...

100_8830.jpg

this is what the actual looks like...

mgb_S_back_fuse.jpg

The pic above is looking aft into the right side gear well. The arced metal to the left with the yellow wiring is the outside skin of the aircraft. The large cylinder on the right side is actually the underside off the cockpit. So in the actual aircraft he wheel wells just open into the fuselage, there is no top to them. More things I have to figure how to scratch build.. :frantic:

You might check out the wheel well set from CMK or Aires not sure if it will fit both are made for the trump kits , but I was thinking of getting a set for my Has . good luck .. great work so far .

Willi

• 7 months later...

some more of my poor man's photo etch...

100_1305.jpg

100_1304.jpg

I am scratch building the wheel wells for the main landing gear on the 1/32 scale ME-262.

this is the kit's main landing gear wheel wells..

100_8830-1.jpg

This is what they should look like

mgb_S_back_fuse.jpg

SO I still have a good bit of work to do....:deadhorse:

Was getting agrivated with it so put it aside and worked on a bunch of other kits, AR-234, TSR-2, IL-40, M-48 Patton, Starting a 72 scale U-boat, E-555 (German Luft 46 stuff), 1/300 scale XB-70, a combat robot, 2 more SR-71's, TU-22M, B-2, and a MIG-21. Also updated my modeling website.

Edited by wedfactory