1/32 Ju 52 "Tante Ju"

Christian

I have been looking a repairing the fuselage everyday, but have major concerns about the plastic as cracks and some splits are starting to show. This is occurring in the corrugated areas on the side of the fuselage where there can be no model resin can be poured for support. Possible due to age of the kit.

I am still weighting up whether it is worth while repairing or using a brand new combat kit with no damage plastic for a better result.

I have a few cracks also - but I'll be double skinning mine in places with corrugated styrene sheet - looking in through the opened door you won't notice...

You've done such a great job with the model - would be such a pity to throw that fuselage away.

Just been looking at mine this evening (you've inspired me :)) and I may crack on with some of the internal skinning/structure in next few days.

Pity you're not around the corner - I'd pop over with a couple of beers and we could compare notes...

Iain

I have a few cracks also - but I'll be double skinning mine in places with corrugated styrene sheet - looking in through the opened door you won't notice...

You've done such a great job with the model - would be such a pity to throw that fuselage away.

Just been looking at mine this evening (you've inspired me :)) and I may crack on with some of the internal skinning/structure in next few days.

Pity you're not around the corner - I'd pop over with a couple of beers and we could compare notes...

Iain

Hi Iain,

Double skinning sounds like a really good idea. May have to consider that idea.

Love to see you work on the interior some more. As I look toward to your build; for tips and advice. As you know this is my first vac kit.

Spoke to Jeff at Combat Models yesterday and he has told me that my Ju 52 kit will be moulded next week. I can not wait for it to arrive. I have learnt a lot from the old fuselage but am more and more leaning towards the brand new fuselage without the major repair work. :BANGHEAD2:

I must confuse that it is a shame I live on the other side of the world. Having a beer with a legend modeller would be cool :beer4: . Swapping notes would be great; on such challenging build as Tante Ju. :beer: :blah:

I do have a note for you building the Ju 52. The vac seats and the instruction to build the pilot and co-pilot seat are incorrect. First in appearance, as you know but also they are too wide and when both seats are put side by side in the cockpit; there is no room for the door opening. I have just done a test fit. Hence you may want consider building or buying pilot and co pilot seats. Yet another challenge to be met.

Thanks for reading in.

Christian :speak_cool:

Be *very* careful with those single pack foams - for two reasons:

•  
  • If space it's being put into is confined it can expand over time (as it reacts over time with air/moisture) and crack/split parts...
  • It doesn't always go off in the middle!

I'd strongly recommend the two pack stuff - http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Subcategory=60&Subdivision=233

Iain

Dear Iain,

Once again you have provide invaluable information to me and other vac builders.

I will do a search to see if I can get this product in Australia.

I owe you one mate.

Something else that might help in your future builds. When I built my vacs,after I had sanded the mating surfaces on the wings and fuselage parts and got them to fit OK,I glued them in place with model glue and let them get in the right position. I them ran super glue down the inside of the seams several times until there was a good build up of super glue. This gave a hard hard surface and quite strong as well. It made the trailing edges of the wings a breeze to sand and get nice and sharp. Of course,you still need braces for the spars and thicker portions of the wing center but that glue was stought!

J

Wing Spar Construction Re Do

I had Friday off work; need to look after my children, as my wife has gone out. For those of you with children; will know the school run needs to done. Once the boys have been dropped off, my daughter and now have father / daughter time. And with mum being away, we all know what that means, WORKING ON TANTE JU.

So we have decided to re do the wing spars. Once again we use 8mm thick pine; however this time the wing spars have reduced in length to only 450mm.

The process is also the same as last time. This time we measure and mark out the wing spar.

JU52Part431.jpg

Then apply masking tape to both internal sides of the boards. Then PVA (wood) glue is use to join the pieces together. I also clamp the boards together for 24 hours.

We use a jig saw to cut out the rough shape. Now the linisher sander, sanding block and some wood files to get the extra shape.

Ju52Part432.jpg

My little helper is wear a mask and safety glass. Note they are not sun glasses but actual safety glass, she thinks the look pretty cool. :coolio:

Below is the final image of the wing spars.

Ju52Part433.jpg

Note the I have decided to use dihedral braces between the wing spars, this will hopefully eliminate the misalignment between the 2 wing spars.

Ju52Part434.jpg

More updates to come.

See you next time,

Christian. :speak_cool:

Hi Christian...

Great work - but is that dihedral angle correct?

Looks too much to my eye - but I don't have drawings handy...

I've used 60 thou polystyrene sheet on mine - only needs to take a very small load and the wings aren't that heavy.

Also the plastic won't warp over time - I'd be nervous using pine?

180small014.JPG

156ju52139.JPG

156ju52138.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Hi Christian,

I did not see this work before, that Ju must be impressive!

Fantastic project, I like the Ju very much, though I only built a 1/72 a long time ago...

To my eye, that dihedral could be too much, but I'm not an expert. Too many times lenses distort angles...

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Something else that might help in your future builds. When I built my vacs,after I had sanded the mating surfaces on the wings and fuselage parts and got them to fit OK,I glued them in place with model glue and let them get in the right position. I them ran super glue down the inside of the seams several times until there was a good build up of super glue. This gave a hard hard surface and quite strong as well. It made the trailing edges of the wings a breeze to sand and get nice and sharp. Of course,you still need braces for the spars and thicker portions of the wing center but that glue was stought!

J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the invaluable advice on the gluing. :clap2:

All this information really helps me out. As you know it is my first vac kit, I could not get this far without you guys help.

I will be using the tip when I construct the wings.

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks mate,

• 2 weeks later...

This is looking fantastic I can't wait to see it finished. I have always wanted to tackle a vac but never had the chance you are inspiring me. I would like to find a vac of a 1/32 scale Grumman J2F Duck if there is one.

This is looking fantastic I can't wait to see it finished. I have always wanted to tackle a vac but never had the chance you are inspiring me. I would like to find a vac of a 1/32 scale Grumman J2F Duck if there is one.

Hi Mate,

Thank very much for the kind words.

I do not know of a 1/32 scale Grumman J2F Duck, however if you want to do a US float plane than Combat Models does a 1/32 scale Vought OS2U Kingfisher, I have been thinking about doing this one for a while.

I am still waiting on my fuselage to come and have not done much with Tante Ju due to an increase work load in the office.

Speak to you later,

• 1 month later...

It’s HERE at LAST!

Today at work, the replacement Combat Model Ju 52 vac kit arrived. :m0152:

I can not believe that it is here at last. I have been waiting 11 weeks for this kit to come. :yahoo:

If you remember I destroyed the old fuselage when trying to cut in the wing spars. The combat model kit’s fuselage, horizontal and vertical stabilizers well replace the Schmitti Modelbau parts.

Below are some images of the kit. It appears to be exactly the same as the old Schmitti Modelbau kit, except this are huge pair of float and ski sets. Very cool!

Images of Schmitti Modelbau kit.

Ju52Part441.jpg

Ju52Part442.jpg

Images of Combat Models Kit.

Ju52Part443.jpg

Ju52Part444.jpg

More updates to come. Energy levels up again with the arrival of the new kit. :piliot:

Thanks for reading in.

Happy Modelling,

Christian

Hi Iain,

Thanks mate for the reply. That was really fast.

It has been nice to have a bit of a break from Tante Ju, due work and the kids.

Hope to start work tonight on the vertical and horizontal stabilisers.

Speak to you later.

Christian

Part 45

Construction of the Vertical Stabiliser

I will be repeating the same construction process; it appears to have work will for me before. When building vac kit, you need to consider structural strength and connection points.

Zapper Gap CA glue was used to connect vertical stabiliser together. I use then spars of solid brass tubing (2.38 mm), have been inserted and glues into position; then the model resin is poured in. The model resin takes 24 hours to fully dry.

Ju52Part451.jpg

JuPart452.jpg

Ju52Part453.jpg

More updates to come.

Thanks for reading my thread.

Christian