Seafire FR.47 conversio

billwinkes

I received the Freightdog Models FR.47 conversion yesterday. The resin bits are superbly cast and appear to be very well engineerd (I test fit a few parts). The decal sheet is really beautifully produced and printed, including a corrrection for the underwing serials. The new canopy gives you the rounded windshield and there is a nice rendition of the gunsight. Even the tiny catapult spools are there. It was about $42 including airmail shipping -- in nine days!

I heartily recommend the conversion and wish to commend Colin for his swift service.

Now I need to figure out how to reconfigure or replace the upper cowling to correct the cylinder head fairings.

Bill Winkes

I received the Freightdog Models FR.47 conversion yesterday. The resin bits are superbly cast and appear to be very well engineerd (I test fit a few parts). The decal sheet is really beautifully produced and printed, including a corrrection for the underwing serials. The new canopy gives you the rounded windshield and there is a nice rendition of the gunsight. Even the tiny catapult spools are there. It was about $42 including airmail shipping -- in nine days!

I heartily recommend the conversion and wish to commend Colin for his swift service.

Now I need to figure out how to reconfigure or replace the upper cowling to correct the cylinder head fairings.

Bill Winkes

With regard to the cowling Bill, I am about to launch my replacement cowling set [ see my previous thread ] just dont glue

yours on too well! It can be retrofitted then.

Graham

With regard to the cowling Bill, I am about to launch my replacement cowling set [ see my previous thread ] just dont glue

yours on too well! It can be retrofitted then.

Graham

Graham

Thanks for the heads-up. That is exactly what i am looking for. There's plenty of work in the wings alone, so I'll be ready for the cowling about when you release it. Or, considering my rate of completion, long after I buy it.

Thanks again,

Bill

Bill,

Got my set yesterday from Freightdog at a show and they had a made up version on their stand. Looked stunning!

Also got the base kit, the Revell 22/24. Being kind, the least I can say is we are gonna have our work cut out with that one!!!!

Do you have any links or suggestions for reference stuff for the FR47? All I've got(though its early days) is a couple of in flight photos in a Spitfire book.

Regards,

Phil

Bill,

Got my set yesterday from Freightdog at a show and they had a made up version on their stand. Looked stunning!

Also got the base kit, the Revell 22/24. Being kind, the least I can say is we are gonna have our work cut out with that one!!!!

Do you have any links or suggestions for reference stuff for the FR47? All I've got(though its early days) is a couple of in flight photos in a Spitfire book.

Regards,

Phil

Phil

So far I have dug up a volume of Wings at War that featured spitfire variants -- I will specify the volume number when I get home from work. The net garnered a limited number of resources, but is worth a look. There is a spectacular video on YouTube featuring the startup and flight of a restored FR.47 in the US that I found through Google. I am still retrieving info.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I've a friend that is seriously into Fleet Air Arm stuff who is having a dig around for me as well. If I get anything interesting I'll let you know.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Here's one I made earlier! This was with the original Jen's Brit Bits conversion and the first batch of freightdog decals. It is an excellent conversion, especially as Colin has now added a few extras.

FR472.jpg

Hi!

This is indeed a terrific conversion. I had the original one and purchased the Freightdog one as well!

FYI, with a little bit of work (belly air intake) the MK22/24 Warbirds resin nose can also be used as the kit engine bulges are horrendous...

It has been reissued: http://www.greymatterfigures.com/index.php?p=2&id=51

The cockpit also deserves some attention because of the bubble canopy. Personally, I intend using a mix of Fotocut photoetched parts, some Waldron parts, a Warbirds seat and scratchbuilt add-ons. You can also purchase good rockets from MDC.

It is a pity but regarding the documentation, there are not a lot of sources and the problem is similar with all FAA post war airplanes...:

- There is a Warpaint dedicated to the Griffon Seafires. It contains most known wartime pictures, good profiles and scale plans and some Seafire walkaround pics.

- The Griffon Spitfire SAM modeller datafile is also an excellent source with pics, scale plans and walkaround pics.

- There are also one or two very good old issues of the Replic French magazine dedicated to the Quarter scale Airfix replica with good pictures, profile showing the wing fold system, etc.

- Note the Wings of Fame article has been republished in the Spit-Me109 special.

There are also pics and plans here and there in various books and magazines (including the ones dedicated to the Korean war). I shall check at home to give a more precise list. Keep in mind that some items were standard on Spit and Seafire. Accordingly, other Spit-Seafire sources may be useful (such as the 4+ Mk22-24 booklet for the engine bulges)

The Internet does not bring a lot of things. I found here and there some pics of the Mk47 restored in the US but no complete walkaround as such.

The recent Crowood Seafire book does not bring a lot of data from a modeller's standpoint. I'd not recommend it as such if you're not interested in the Seafires development history and already have some pictures. On another hand, I know that it can be currently purchased from a low price from Ian Allan...

HTH