109 Experts needed!

PhilB

post-13803-1265108034.jpg

Being a newbie and this being my first attempt to upload pictures I hope I have got it right!

My late father served in the RAF throughout WW2 and was stationed on Malta throughout the blitz of 1941 to 1943. He was an engineering officer with the famous 249 Squadron and used to tell me stories of the great pilots such as "Screwball" Beurling (pound for pound probably the best fighter pilot of WW2) and Johnny Plagis et al whom he worked with.

Amongst his many photos is this picture of a downed 109. The notes on the back state that it crash landed at Takali on the 5th May 43. As can be seen the engine was probably dead as one prop is undamaged.

He told me that the aircraft came in dead and belly landed whereupon the pilot whom he described as a "blond god" got out, emptied his service pistol into the engine then put his hands up! It was claimed by anti-aircraft people but my dad said it was engine failure.

Can any of you 109 experts out there give me a hand with what mark it is and likely colour scheme as it would make a great diorama project if I can find a couple of thousand oil cans for the blast screen behind it!!!

Phil

post-13803-1265108034.jpg

Being a newbie and this being my first attempt to upload pictures I hope I have got it right!

My late father served in the RAF throughout WW2 and was stationed on Malta throughout the blitz of 1941 to 1943. He was an engineering officer with the famous 249 Squadron and used to tell me stories of the great pilots such as "Screwball" Beurling (pound for pound probably the best fighter pilot of WW2) and Johnny Plagis et al whom he worked with.

Amongst his many photos is this picture of a downed 109. The notes on the back state that it crash landed at Takali on the 5th May 43. As can be seen the engine was probably dead as one prop is undamaged.

He told me that the aircraft came in dead and belly landed whereupon the pilot whom he described as a "blond god" got out, emptied his service pistol into the engine then put his hands up! It was claimed by anti-aircraft people but my dad remembers there being several .303 holes through the cooling system.

Can any of you 109 experts out there give me a hand with what mark it is and likely colour scheme as it would make a great diorama project if I can find a couple of thousand oil cans for the blast screen behind it!!!

Phil

Lookslike a G2 r G4, but is hard ti tell fr sure. Can you enlarge the area of the machine guns on the nose?

Radu

Thanks for the info Steve,

This aircraft would almost certainly have been based in Sicily at the time so would the grey scheme be about right or would it be the desrt sand over blue colours?

Phil

Phil,

welcome to the forums - a very good place to be indeed!

Malta aircraft have always fascinated me (i long to do a large scale Spit Vc for instance...) and i read a book on Malta in the War by James someoneorother...

anyway, he too mentions " "Screwball" Beurling ", which apparently was NOT his nickname: to cut a long story short, "screwball" was a kind of swear word for him and "everything was a screwball" etc etc

his nickname was rather "Buzz" Beurling

obviously i defer to your late Pa who was there at the time, but wondered whether you had heard similar stories and know which one is right?

good luck with you 109 btw

Nick

Hi Phil,

Wumm gave you the answer. It is indeed a G6. Many apologies for the many spelling errors in my initial post. :DodgeBall:

It looks indeed like it belly-landed with the engine stopped (one prop blade is intact, so it was not spinning) but the pilot was ready to bail because the canopy was jettisoned. The aicraft must have been considered of high value and was well-protected because it still has the gunsight which was usually scavenged quickly be souvenir hunters (along with the clock).

HTH

Radu

Steve,

Thanks for the colour info!

Nick,

I think he was known by both names. My Dad always referred to him as "Screwball" and apparently he answered to it.

There is a great book about him:"Malta Spitfire -Diary of a fighter pilot" paperback by Greenhill books and is available on Amazon for about 7 quid.

When you consider that in only flying 14 combat days on Malta, 27 destroyed, 8 damaged and 3 probables is incredible.

The book asks some interesting questions about whether he was a cold blooded killer or just very good at his job. What comes out of it is that he was a natural pilot and an incredible shot.

My dad remembers him going to the Intelligence Officer after they had encountered a new Macchi for the first time and asking him where he had to hit it to make it blow up!

He also said that when he landed after combat my dad couldn't look him in the face for a while, I asked why and all he said was "he looked like death" Kind of brings it into perspective and blows away all the glamour and nonsense portrayed by Hollywood etc.

You might also try Brian Cull's books "Spifires over Malta" , "Hurricanes over Malta" and "249 at war"

Couple of years ago I built the 1/24 Trumpeter Vb Trop as one of George's aircraft and also a 1/24 IIc Hurricane in 249 sqn malta schemes. Must take photos and post them once I've repainted the crowbar on the spit from red to green (usual mistake!!!)

Phil

Phil,

Regarding your aircraft, it is a Bf 109 G-6/Trop, WNr.18046, St.Kenn. “GP+IZ”. It was flown by Oblt. Gunther Hannak of 7./JG 27 who became a POW after being shot down by flak and belly-landing at Luqa, Malta on 5 May 1943. The aircraft had a white spinner, wing tips and fuselage band, with its code letters in black under the wings. The letter “I” was outlined on the fuselage stripe on the port side. Camouflage is 74/75/76 with mottled, diagonal stripes on the fuselage in 75. It is very closely related to the aircraft “ge.7+-“ WNr.180168 of 6./JG 53 as shown in the link provided by Wumm (above)

I have an image of an eBay photo that shows the left side and related information on the back - PM if interested (too big to post here).

Cheers,

David

References:

Prien, J., Rodeike, P. and Stemmer, G.: “Messerschmitt Bf 109 im Einsatz bei der III. u. IV./Jagdgeschwader 27”, Struve Druck, Eutin, 620p. (see p.326)

Gen.Qu.6.Abt. Reports: Microfilm Roll No.10, Vol.17

Flypast Magazine No.127, p.42.

David,

I knew one of you guys would have the info, just gobsmacked at how much you can find out!

Bet you don't know what the pilot had for breakfast!!!!! (I know he had bully beef for tea!)

I'd love to see the e-bay photo. Please bang it over on my e-mail which is under my profile.

I assumed it was Takali but Dad was buzzing around the various stations at the time so Luqa is obviously right. On the back of the photo he wrote "Claimed by the ack ack boys but it was a gremlin in the engine".

Bet there were loads of disputes at the time.

Thanks again,

Phil