Guillows 1/28 B-17

Kaeone57

Greetings LSP heads,

This started out as a conversation with a friend of mine asking if I still built model aircraft. After a lengthy conversation, he asked if I would build him a "Big bomber dropping bombs" so he could hang it over his art table. My reply was "F... yeah I'll build it!" :frantic:

We decided, well of course I pushed him in this direction, that Bigger is Better. It was to be an out of box build with fictional code letters using his initials, and fictional noseart using images from Vaughn Bode's Cheech Wizard. I was to concentrate on the exteriors, and not worry about the interior since it was to become a ceiling hanger. Everything was moving along.....

1-1.jpg

The beginning, in case no one has ever seen how these things go together. After removing all fuselage parts, and cleaning them up, construction begins. 1st, You lay down, and pin the keel parts over the plan then attach the left half formers at 90 degrees. In this picture the left half has been built, and removed from the plan. You then attach the right side formers, and the side keel.

3-1.jpg

Then you add stringers to all the notches that you cut into the formers before assembly.

2-1.jpg

Close up of the stringer action.

4-1.jpg

After a couple of hours you have this monster of a B-17 skeleton, over 2 and a 1/2' long, sitting on your workspace.

5-1.jpg

A close up of the skeleton.

7-1.jpg

Clear parts test fit, and shape check. Looks like a B-17.

8-1.jpg

Close up of the test fit.

11.jpg

From a different angle.

12.jpg

Last picture of the test fit. Keep in mind that these photos were taken for the client to get an idea of what he is getting. I took pics of it mocked up with the canopy so he could get an idea of the shape of the B-17. I should have waited till it was skinned to send him any pics.... You shall see why.

Peace,

Alfonso

Now this is where the fun kinda came to an end, and why I said I shouldn't have sent any pics till it was skinned.

After sending him, the client, the images I have just posted, I get a call from my client, remember he is a friend. The conversation goes well, theres laughter about how big it is, and I tell him, "Thats what she said", and all that good stuff we talk about with our boys. Then he says, "Wow there sure are going to be alot of windows on that thing" I tell him "No sh1ot, it's a plane, not a missle. What did you expect? I told you about this before hand", already smelling whats about to be said, and then he said it..." I want an Interior!" :huh:

The rest of the conversation I care not to type.

So, now he wants an Interior in this thing after the fuselage is built up. :mental:

Great!!! What are friends for, and all that mess. After purchasing a 1/48 Monogram/Revell B-17G, and giving it a look over. I Break out the Zona saw, and away I go. I knew that thing, the Zona saw, was going to be used earlier than anticipated as it kept getting closer to me throughout the build of the fuselage. Funny how the saw knew it was coming before I did. I should have got the hint as it kept making cameo's in the photos and I didn't plan on using till I built up the wings.

15.jpg

The cutting begins! You can see the paper template made in order to move the bulkhead forward, and how the fun began with hollowing out the cockpit formers, and bombardier/navigator station. Refer to the previous pics and you will see how much was removed. PLEASE!!!!, keep in mind that it is very difficult to re-engineer these kits once built up to add an interior unless you cut this b1otch up to do so, or plan on this before you start to make the necessary modifications. The AMS is going to kill me on this one, but she ain't gonna be a 100% B-17. As I post more you will see what I mean, and then her real name will be revealed. Friends don't you just love them, ;)

16.jpg

Close ups of the cutting up...

17.jpg

The radiomans compartment. Kinda hard to re-engineer this section due to the bottom of the formers being integral to the wing mount.

18.jpg

The beginning of the floors, also plugs to the bulkheads that stay solid, for which I'm using the material that was removed from the balsa carrier sheet. New cockpit rear bulkhead removed from partial built kit purchased here on LSP, Thanks Tim, AKA pzcreations, after my friend had dropped the bomb on me. I guess it was meant to be done this way, as Tim posted it for sale about a day or 2 after the worst model related phone call in my model building history...I still hear that "I want an Interior" over and over in my head.... :frantic:

Also note that the side keels had to be cut thinner as well. All the ones in the nose had to be cut down. Talk about fun...yeah right.

19.jpg

Another shot of the madness of cutting this up after the fact...

20.jpg

View of the plug on former #3. Etc., etc.

Peace,

Alfonso

U have a good start there as to showing u'er friend what he's getting.And as to u taking the pic's as to the steps u'er taking gives everyone what u'er doing a good idea as to how big the 17 is going to be.And just what will u be using to skin it?Larry

What up Larry,

I knew at least you would check this!! :frantic:

I was intending on using 1/32 balsa sheet to skin her up, and tissue for the fabric surfaces. As I catch up posting to where I am at on this build, been workin on her for about 2 months give or take, you will see that things might have to change.. ;)

Thanks for looking, and Peace Brotha,

Alfonso

Oh BTW, I forgot to mention... rivet counters,"PLEASE!!!", look away. This is not the way I would normally go about building a Guillows kit, or any company's kit for that matter, so bare with me. I am handling this sh1tuation the best way I know how. I ain't gettin what it's worth to go all out, and do her up right, plus it's to late in the build for that anyway.

So from here on she will be referred to as the BS-17, or B-16 and a 1/2 as I call her. To much work would be involved for a real B-17 right now, so I will do this again for myself in the future, the right way. I am sharing this mockery of scale modeling with you guys to help deal with the frustration caused by AMS, and my friend MR. "I want a cockpit after the fuselage is built up". I hope you get the humor in all this, as the written word even with the use of emoticons doesn't convey the way I speak. Enough with the ... ;)

22.jpg

Radiomans compartment floor, and plugs to formers. I know it's to high but thats what she's gettin.

23.jpg

Another shot.

26.jpg

Canopy mock up, and more floor work.

27.jpg

Another one.

37.jpg

And Another.

38.jpg

Another

39.jpg

Bulkhead additions to Bombardier/Navigator area, and addition of last floor in the nose.

40.jpg

Another shot.

Peace,

Alfonso

If anything, I hope, I can bring a smile or two, or a real good laugh while sharing this contraption of balsa. The next series of posts will make some of you go nuts... ;)

41.jpg

Last shots of the nose, cockpit floors, and bulkhead additions. Oh, and IP mount

42.jpg

Another shot.

44.jpg

Mock up of cockpit entry doors in center of floor, and fake ars rudder pedals made from truck axle parts. This is pretty much how she started to acquire the name of BS-17. As stated before I ain't gettin paid to scratch this whole thing up, so I am filling her up with all kinds of stuff from the spares boxes, and limited scratch building, mostly with balsa as my styrene is to valuable for this biotch.

45.jpg

The beginning of BS for her. Cockpit door, and center cockpit entry doors underway out of balsa, Rudder pedals mocked up, and as stated before were made from axle bits from a Rig kit, Peterbuilt or Autocar?, which is where the steering wheels also came from. They will be cut down later to look more the part, and also a strapped bundle left over from some Monogram armor kit from back in the day.

I skipped over to the radio compartment after these shots were taken. That will be the next installment. Followed by the waist areas which is where I am at now. Till Tomorrow..

As always, Peace to you and yours,

Alfonso

Alfonso,

Have a few ideas for u as to u not pulling out u'er hair.If u'er going to do a full cockpit thing.Then i would use some thin cardboard sheets on the inside.Index cards to mind and the glue u'er using will work as well.But i would get at least a bigger bottle as to save on u'er money,if u know hat i mean.Same for the radio compartment and the waist gun areas.And for the nose inside.The cards would be the same way to go.Since the cards can be shaped the way u want them.

U'll have to use alot of pins to keep them in place as well.The tail gun position is going to be the trick for u as to forming the cards.Or use alot of stringers and fill it in that way and cover with a some type filler and sand it down.

One ting about thin sheet balsawood.It breaks apart as to molding it to curved surfaces.One should soak it in water over night.That way the wood will adhere to the curves and etc. to the fuselage.But with that.U should use a super glue or some type of glue that will adhere to the wet balsawood.But let the balsawood dry some before applying the glue.U will here and there on the fuselage after covering it have a few splits or cracks in the wood.But after drying and lightly sanding them down.They'll be ok and also here.Use a filler of some type.

As for getting inside the waist gun positions on her.I would cut the fuselage in half aft of the bulkhead from the radio compartment.There is not way to go into it unless u do that.If not,Then u'er stalled at this point.But if u go as to what i suggested to u as to cutting it in half.That way the index card thing will work for u as to covering up the stringers on the fuselage.And if the bulkhead just aft of the radio compartment is not there to keep the stringers and from popping out.U will have to make one as a support to keep them in place.

I did this on my vac 17G and it worked out ok.And if u do this.U should make another bulkhead as a supprt to keep it lined up right.

Cut out all the clear parts and where they go and set them in place and mark them out,so u'll know what is what when it comes time to place them into the fuselage.And watch out for the ones that on either side of the radio compartment.Those can give u fits,if u do not get them straight across.And sitting at the right heigth on each side.

I think this is enough intel for now.And hope this will help u out as well.Feel free to pick my brain when needed.U'we doing a great job and do not let her get u down.Larry

Larry,

Thanks for the suggestions, and tips. As mentioned already, this build is much further along than what has been posted. I am playing catch-up with the pic posting to show what has been done, and how I went about it without cutting the thing open. Patience my friend... :piliot:

Once again- For everyone watching this thread, "THIS WILL NOT BE A 100% B-17". Sorry for the all caps.

This is going to be a ceiling hanger in a friends art room. After the fuselage was built he decided on an interior. I am not getting paid to do this thing 100%, not that the money would stop me from doing it as I would no doubt do it for free if given the chance to do it proper from the beginning....but this is besides the point. I have been out of work for almost 6 months, and this BS-17 has got to be on her way as soon as possible so I can collect my peanuts. Had it been what we had originally discussed, an out of box build focusing on exteriors, she would have been out the door already.

Alfonso

LSP, are you ready,...it's time to play..... "Name that part" :piliot:

As mentioned before this BS-17 will be filled up with anything from the spares box that even remotely looks the part. Of course some things will be made from scratch, as needed, and I will be using as much balsa as I can to not touch my sacred styrene stash. Low budget for sure.

58.jpg

After rummaging thru the parts boxes, these are the parts that will be "acting" as the radio compartment gear, hey stop laughing so hard!!!

59.jpg

Most of these bits have been around since the 80's. Some gathered from friends failed/unfinished builds, and some kits I never got around to then, the rig kits, and recently just chucked them in the parts boxes for future use. Here the shelves for the gear, the table top, and doors have been made with scrap balsa.

60.jpg

Different angle, but more of the same.

61.jpg

Another

62.jpg

Another

63.jpg

Etc., etc.

I'll post more pics to catch up some more later, and show yall where I am at now.

Alfonso

Alfonso,

Working with a kit like that brings back memories as to my first kit as to it being a solid wood model back in the mid 50's.But for the Guillow's kits and the way their made.But u and erwin as well have proved to me that any kit,being balsa or plastic or vac for that matter can be made into a show stopper or the one u'er doing for u'er friend as to having it hanging in his work room.It will be a conversation piece to say the least.Larry

After the roundup of "acting parts" for the radio mans compartment, some detailing, and painting we have..

64.jpg

The entry/exit doors received hinges, and door handles out of balsa bits, and scrap styrene rod for the door on the floor. The door handle was made by running a pencil on the soft balsa, and by then drawing the outline of a handle which embossed a trench to leave the middle intact which becomes the handle. Then all wooden items were "stained with Testors Thinner, Flat Black, and Brown Enamels. The wood grain was drawn on with thinned, and not so thinned paint to make an exaggerated wood grain pattern. The balsa doesn't really have much grain effect with just a wash. All boxes were painted with Testors Flat Black Acryl. The pin become the lamp after some paint. The seat received several layers of thinned, and dry Testors Beret Green paint to give some texture to give it a worn leathery look to it. The silver door was randomly marked up with some black, then the Silver was washed in, and then painted to give it a worn look. Also by buffing with the sanding stick I brought back the Black here, and there to give some wear. The Interior Green is Testors Model Master Enamel.

65.jpg

The parts were lightly buffed with a sanding stick to clean up the fuzz of the balsa, and then buffed here and there to age them further with the sanding stick.

66.jpg

More of the same. The triple stack batteries that will represent the extra transmitters, were scored to make them appear as, well, a triple stack.

67.jpg

Some more of the same.

68.jpg

The hinges were then picked out in Silver on the entry/exit doors, and in Copper on the door for the floor. All parts were sealed with Testors Model Master Acryl Flat Clear, and then given an Enamel Flat Black, and Flat Gray wash mixed with Testors Thinner to give some depth. The seat was lightly dry brushed here and there with some of the Interior green to wear it out some more and add interest. The oxygen hose was made from the spring thats inside of a Bic lighter, and some left over black wire sheathing inserted.

69.jpg

After all Flat Black parts were Flat Clear coated, more washes with Gray, and Blackish Gray was applied. Followed by some dry brushing, and clear coating again, then lightly buffing to unify the effect. Items are still in early paint stages here. A light dry brush with some Silver here, and there for some of the switches.

70.jpg

Blah, blah blah....blah, bla ha ha ha. Sorry, I just had to do that. LOL.

72.jpg

Some scuffing hear, and there to the seat with the sanding stick. and a little dry brushing with Testors Flat Light Green.

73.jpg

I wish I knew how to take better photos to show what these items really look like after going thru the trouble of painting them to look the part, oh well.

74.jpg

The pin after painting with Flat White, and Flat Black is now a lamp. The oxygen bottle was made up of some cylindrical bits attached together, and painted Testors Model Master Insignia Yellow, and washed with some Flat Gray. The hose and gauge asembly for this unit is not yet completed in this pic.

Alfonso