Guillows 1/28 B-17

Kaeone57

With most of the "acting" parts completed, the installation began. At times it has felt more like I am playing that old game of operation, as everything has to be manipulated with tweezers, carefully.

75.jpg

More shots of the Gizmology meets Bullsheeatology to the 12th power X 10 which equals = YEAH RIGHT!! Sorry for screaming. In an attempt to give the "acting" parts a bit of life, I proceeded to make some holes for some wires.

76.jpg

Another one of the same. I tried to take pics of the items with a piece of white paper under the cutting mat to see if they would show up better, but I don't know. I ain't really stressing it as I ain't to happy with the fact that its all BS anyway. I was just taking pics to show the client so he could see what was going in it.

78.jpg

Doors installed, and the rear bulkhead in the compartment got its bits.

79.jpg

Another shot.

81.jpg

And another.

83.jpg

More shots of the "actors"

84.jpg

More of the same

85.jpg

The floor was stained in place before the installation began, as it was permantly attached earlier, and the wood grain effect exaggerated as described before for the doors. The bulkheads were then painted in Silver. I chose Silver so at least the BS that is in this room will have a better chance of standing out when viewed thru the top, and side windows.

86.jpg

Trying to get an overall view of the radio room work. I know, I know why bother with this Bullshizinheimer, right? You can see the ribs in the rear compartment in their entirety before they got hacked away.

87.jpg

Another. You can also see what I have been using as reference to very loosely base my bits. Cutaway from the "Great Book of WW II Airplanes, an FSM special issue titled Warbird Modeling which has a gorgeous 1/48 B-17G section, and some booklet on modeling the B-17 that came with an issue of SAMI that has some pictures at different angles of some aftermarket bits in it to which I will loosely base more parts later on with.

More installs in the radio compartment.

88.jpg

Rear bulkhead in radio room after the install of its bits. I was going to add the handles to the fake transmitter/tuner gear, even had them all made out of small staples, but said to myself....WHY??? :(, :yahoo:

80.jpg

The floors/bulkheads in the cockpit, and nose section were painted at the same time I did the floor/bulkheads in the radio room. I chose Silver in the nose section for the same reason as I did in the radio room, to allow the detail to show up better thru the windows. Painting in this area will be finished when I get back to these areas.

82-1.jpg

Another shot.

89.jpg

More shots of the rear bulkhead acting bits. It looks like the plane was built for dwarfs. I can't believe I'm building this sometimes. I'm for the most part either slapping myself, or laughing at this situation.

90.jpg

I wish this was for real in the worst way....

91.jpg

Shot of the table, all balsa, and an "acting" radio thingy.

92.jpg

Test fitting/adjusting the "acting" radio on it's table.

93.jpg

Close up of the same.

94.jpg

Backside of the "acting" radio all wired up.

95.jpg

Another shot of the "acting radio".

Radio compartment continued....

96-1.jpg

Forward shot of the "acting" radio

97-1.jpg

Shots of the "actors" with the wires added to the "acting" transmitter/tunning BS gizmology. The wires were krazy glued first, then test fitted/positioned before painting.

98-1.jpg

Close up shot with a dry fit of the connection between the 2 "actors".

99.jpg

More of the same BS.

100.jpg

Dry fitting of all the gear for this bulkhead. I am basically making the BS bits, and making adjustments before installing so as to have a "kit" part to install later as it is kinda hard working in this manner. Ah, my client friend has no clue how many times I have :(

101.jpg

Dry/test fit shot.

102.jpg

Another dry/test fit shot. After these shots were taken, and the dry fit over the wires were given a wash for shadows and such. I know, I know..... why?

I hope yall ain't laughing to hard at this BS-17. If you are, or not laughing, please share. Any, and all thoughts are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking, and till later.

As always...Peace,

Alfonso

The beginning of the waist positions, belly turret area, and the rear of this compartment.

After the installation of some of the bits, and the final dry run in the radio compartment, I began to hollow out the aft sections. I kept looking at this area while doing the previous work, and figured it would be best to tackle this area before finalizing the radio compartment to minimize any damage, if any, that might occur. More :( work, and plenty of Cuban slang kept me occupied, and entertained during this stage.

103.jpg

One of the many chunks of balsa removed in this section of the "cartoon bomber"... Oh Father, here I go again.

104.jpg

Big chunks removed off the first former in this section with the next one ready for the same. What an unnecessary way to spend the time. You may be asking yourself, "Why didn't this caveman just cut the thing open, and simplify his life?" My answer is, It would have complicated matters highly, and made the airframe very weak. Not to mention add more build time than had already been added already by "Mr. I want a cockpit after the fuselage had been built"... :yahoo:

106.jpg

This is how I started the cuts to all the formers. There isn't that much room to work with here. By making these cuts 1st, I could then cut the chunks off in between individually, and minimize the chance of them, the formers, ripping apart along the grain as I cut them down. I got as close to my rough pencil line as possible, and finalized by carving and sanding/grinding them to where I wanted. It was quite interesting... :blink:

107.jpg

The same formers after the above mentioned steps. It was easier to do these 2 formers than the other 2 in this section. I was only going to do these 2 in this section, as this is where the waist windows mount. After painting this whole section, and looking inside, a touch of AMS came over me. Don't ask me why this happened at this point, I just continued with the self inflicted torture.. :deadhorse:

108.jpg

More of the same.

109.jpg

Another

111.jpg

The top keel has been cut off to allow the installation of whatever BS is gonna go in here. Maybe a turd with goggles, a scarf, and chewing on a toothpick.

112.jpg

After the other 2 formers, and side keels were cut down, and cleaned up.

113.jpg

Another

The beginning of the floors in the aft section began with the belly turret area, and the forward most bulkhead in the compartment.

114.jpg

Balsa strips, 1/16th" added for the door structure, and floor height check. The top of the belly turret was made from a plastic egg thingy you get from them 25 cent machines, the ones that come with little toys inside.

115.jpg

At this time, while figuring out the floors, and finding suitable "actors" for the area, I began to clean the area up around the stringers where there were glue blobs. Remember this was not to have an interior so during the initial construction, which was to be OOB, I was not worried if any excess glue had to be smeared in to keep the stringers down in there notches. :(

117.jpg

118.jpg

Beginning of the aft section after hollowing it out.

119.jpg

The door for the foremost bulkhead in the aft compartment. It was painted in the same manner as the others, with an extra exaggeration on the grain so it shows up better when viewed thru the waist windows.

120.jpg

Another shot of the door.

121.jpg

Another.

124.jpg

The "acting" area that mounts the ball turret. I cut out what would be its floor, and placed the "acting" ball turret on it, then traced around it. I then cut out the opening, and glued a scrap piece of balsa underneath so it would give a shelf for the ball turret to sit on.

125.jpg

Underneath shot showing scrap balsa from an old balsa Comet kit. I can't remember what kit though, Hellcat, Invader? I don't know I built so many of them in the 80's the possibility's are endless as to what kit it could be from. All of them were LSP's though, yessss.. :(

126.jpg

After doing the pre-wash of Flat Black before washing in, and painting with Silver, as mentioned earlier

127.jpg

Shot of 2 of the many "actors during completion in this area.

128.jpg

Dry fit of the floors, door, and "acting" ball turret top.

Aft section floors continued...

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

Shots after the removal of the area on the floor above the "acting" ball turret. After cutting out the unneeded portion, it was doubled up with some balsa scrap to give the impression of framing when painted.

133.jpg

Checking on what will be seen.

134.jpg

Another

Aft section continued..

135.jpg

Balsa stringer detail added to the foremost bulkhead in the compartment.

136.jpg

Another.

137.jpg

And another.

139.jpg

All floors stained, and painted as mentioned earlier. Gathering of the "actors" for the compartment.

140.jpg

The "acting" fuse box, the tall rectangle box leaning on tape, is made out of a misc. rectangular box from one of the rig kits, and marked up by not finishing when drilling with a twist drill. Some random holes, and grooves were made here, and there on it with a needle in a pin vice. This was done to make it look like something other than a box when painted/washed later. The thing on the corner of the floor is the "acting" dynamotor made by combining some parts together. In front of the door is what will become a step.

143.jpg

The notch on top of the door is to help it snap into place on the top center keel and will not be seen after completion. At least the exaggerated wood effect looks good to my eye.

144.jpg

The large white plastic plates, under the guns in the pic, have some bolt detail, and came from the truck kits. These will "act" as the armor plates above, and below the waist gunners. The .50 calibers, and ammo belts came from the 1/24th Airfix Mustang. The "acting" toilet, top right in the pic, is made up of a rig tire rim for the center, and the top is from a 1/25th barrel, and a rim liner for the bottom. This will be viewed from the rear entry door on the right side.

The aft section continued..

145.jpg

More shots of the previous just a bit closer. I have stained/painted each of the floors, and doors, a bit different to make them individually stand out, and break up the look a bit.

146.jpg

Another shot.

147.jpg

And another.

148.jpg

Another.

149.jpg

While gathering the "actors" for the aft section I found these wheel parts, from the rig kits, and decided they could "act" as the oxygen tanks in the cockpit. They will be used in pairs to make a tank, with a slice of the crazy glue tube in the center. At least I am Eco-friendly... :(

150.jpg

Another shot.

Aft section continued..

151.jpg

"Acting" parts round up of what became the oxygen tanks for the waist gunners, and ball turret. All these parts came from the rig kits also. The tank for the ball turret gunner is the air cleaner that mounts on the side of the cab of one of the rig kits, and the other parts, I think, are for the rear brake systems of the rig kits.

152.jpg

After cutting down, and assembling the parts for the "acting" oxygen tanks.

153.jpg

Dry run and test fit of parts. At least I have made everything in a way to snap/drop in, and ease things up a bit when installing. It helps when doing these fit/placement checks, as it is impossible to get in, and tape anything up.

154.jpg

More of the same.

157.jpg

And another

158.jpg

Another.

I hope this build is seen for what it is. It is more a piece of art than scale modeling to me. I am trying to make the best of a retarded, for lack of a better word, decision made by my client, friend, who wanted an interior after the fuselage had been built up.

If I was financially stable at the time, or even now, of his decision I would have took the time to start over, and do whatever it took to do a B-17G proper. Not what we have here, which has become an exercise in patience that is constantly battling frustration dealing with AMS, while trying to reach the goal of finishing to deal with another form of AMS= Alfonso's Money Shipped. This cartoon bomber is just a glue/paint exercise I guess.

Regardless, I have to say that I am having some fun as this is very reminiscent of some builds I did as a kid. Kinda funny to me as going thru the parts box has brought back plenty of memories too.

All comments, if any, are most welcomed. Thanks for looking .

As always, Peace to You, and Yours, and Jah Guidance...

Alfonso