Fokker DR-1 Triplane

ruzlkampf

Flipped over and starting mock-up. The prop on the left is what came with the Camel donor motor. Middle came with this kit.(in addition to the Axial) And, the one I'll be using is on the right from the Roden kit. MUCH nicer hub detail,...and it just looks the part.

post-4413-1253711214.jpg

View from the rear just for kicks.

post-4413-1253711674.jpg

And,...until I get my pilots.....this Japanese guy will have to do all the posing. Should have all this together, with the top wing on and rigged by tomorrow night. I'm just about ready to start painting this in preparation of that fire-breathing-devil head being put on. I'm thinkin of doing the Roden kit up as Richtofens final-flight plane. I'm really into the easy one-color stuff these days. Did I mention that I'm lazy? :P More pics tomorrow night! Later, Russ

post-4413-1253711986.jpg

Whoohoo! Got some major re-shufflng to do tonight, as this Hobbycraft Jacobs build is now separating from the Roden Richtofen one. Starting on this has given me 'Fokker Fever',....and I've got to get my ducks in a row to keep everything organized, yet able to bounce around and work on 4 different versions simultaneously. <_< Not as hard as it sounds, as these are really quite easy to build. This should be done by the end of this weekend. :(

Because I've already started puttering around with the other 3, I've only had a chance to get everything rigged, smoothed, and ready for final paint/decals and assembly. Garn, if only my pilots would show up soon! :D Here's where I was last night, before getting distracted and pulling more kits off the shelf to play with. This particular aircraft had the support struts on the landing gear 'winglet'.

post-4413-1253872082.jpg

Not too much to show, just stretching sprue to rig everything up with. I've already layed down a dark grey basecoat in preparation of streaking it black. Those pics will have to wait until tomorrow, as I'm too busy posting my new entries and taking photos of that stuff. Alas. Weekend is coming up, so I'll be leaning on this pretty heavy to get semi-completed. (I still need my pilots dadgummit!) More soon! Later, Russ

post-4413-1253872507.jpg

Meh heh heh, Yessir Mr. Håkan,.....I really messed up opening all those kit boxes to swap things around and rob parts. :wub: Working on the SR-71 has left a vacuum that these builds will fill. I've gotta have something to paint! Whoakay, enough drivel,....I've got some pics I wanted to show ya'll before I final assemble this tomorrow. It won't be truly finished until my pilots arrive. BLAST! :wacko:

Here's everything layed out after painting, clear-coat, and decals. Kinda a nice change to not have, oooooh wheel-wells,brake lines,instrument panel, canopy, antennas, lights, and a myriad other assorted what-nots. :wacko: Rigging is minimal. I did mention I'm lazy, right? Here we go;

post-4413-1254047436.jpg

I painted it a very dark grey first.....then a super charcoal grey,....then a few highlights of black. Wheeeew, gettin fancy there Russ! :wacko: Really tough to leave it in this state until things dry....but I dasn't get hasty. This thing is the size of a GeeBee, and it's hard to find a way to hold it without screwing up a decal or two....or pushing a finger thru a bit of rigging. :wacko:

post-4413-1254047754.jpg

Nothing spectacular to show tonight,....just a basic progress pic before I zip everything up. The real AC had more of a satin finish than flat....so I'm going there with this too. Pics tomorrow of this with the top wing on, and up on it's wheels with the cowl/prop afixed. Ready to move onto Herr Baron Von Richthfen's all-red tripe next. See ya'll in a bit! Later, Russ

post-4413-1254048105.jpg

Man, you model at the same speed as your Black Bird flies! :wacko: (I'm amazed that you haven't flight sim'med this puppy yet and shown us all how you have shot down those British aces :wub:). Looking great Russ :wacko:.

post-596-1254055322.jpg

Cheers

Derek