Tamiya A6M5 Zero

Daywalker

Thanks Dave. I've browsed around that site a few times in the past, love looking at those relic photos. Great resource for correct colors!

Manny- OMG! That is some BEUUUUUTIFUL work! Thanks for the link, I'll be going back to your build many times during mine. Hope to see more of yours soon!

Kevin- LOL, actually my name is Frank, not Fred. :rolleyes:

Guest canuck63
Thanks Dave. I've browsed around that site a few times in the past, love looking at those relic photos. Great resource for correct colors!

Manny- OMG! That is some BEUUUUUTIFUL work! Thanks for the link, I'll be going back to your build many times during mine. Hope to see more of yours soon!

Kevin- LOL, actually my name is Frank, not Fred. ;)

Hi there Frank,

if you feel I can be of help just go ahead and ask...I'll humbly offer you my help but you'll find heaps of info at J-Aircraft dot com!

:lol: .....oh....you already know :o

Looks like today is the day I get to start on this build! Right now, I am just trying to sort out the correct cockpit colors for the bird I am modeling. I found an excellent mix over at J-aircraft, as well as the notes on accurizing the Tamiya kit. Hope to have some WIP pics soon!

I know it's not much, but I was able to start on my Zero today. Sorted through the colors I am going to use, and made some notes on things to fix/add to the kit. I also got the fuse halves ready for paint (NMF on the interior and Aotake in the tail gear bay). This build will be a Nakajima-built aircraft, so the color I purchased for the interior (a Mitsubishi color) will not work. I found a mix over at J-aircraft for the Nakajima interior green, and need to pck up some more paint to make the color. Here's the fuse halves with the glue surfaces masked in preparation for the NMF to come:

9-11-08.jpg

Added some wiring and other bits to the cockpit floor, and added some lightening holes where appropriate.

9-14-08001.jpg

More lightening holes, and some wiring added to the radio gear.

9-14-08002.jpg

The fire control box on the left rear corner of the cockpit side panel needed to be relocated for a Nakajima built aircraft. This detail had to be removed, and it was quite a chore as it is located right on top of the fuse stringer detail and other bits. A couple of hours with a knife, rotary tool, files, and sandpaper did the trick. Wish I had taken a "before" pic...

9-14-08003.jpg

Looks like after the cockpit, engine, and LG are built there is not a lot to this kit. Most of the construction manual covers these three areas. After they're built, it should really move along!