PCM Spitfire Mk. IXc

SciFi58

Well, it wasn't enough trying to work on an MDC Arado Ar-234b, Hasegawa P-47D, 1/44th Minicraft P-38 and Sweet P-51B, Wave Votoms Bruitishdog, 1/35th Dragon Marder III H, 1/35th Trumpeter KV-1, Starship Modeler 1/48th Shrike, McDaniel's Models 1/650 Gorn Destroyer, Scratchbuilt 1/35th Mechwarrior Bushwacker, Resin Garage kit 1/35th Mechwarrior Vulture, ERTL 1/24th Snowspeeder, and others I have forgotten started in boxes in various states. So I started my brand new reward for fixing our washing machine - an PCM Spitfire Mk. IX. I started on the cockpit, of course, and have these pics to show. I hope online references are right and that seat is bare mahogany and not painted interior green.

pcmspitmkix2.jpg

pcmspitmkix1.jpg

Dunno how fast I'll progress on this one as I want to finish the Arado for the Luftwaffe group build. And that Thunderbolt has been sitting for months with just a few coats of duraluminum on it. So many models, so little time!

Colour's O.K., but it wasn't mahogany, just a paper/resin mix, which was red, when completed. The quilted backrest was normally leather, though, and often black. The harness, supplied, is a post-war version, and it needs a Sutton harness for a wartime Spitfire. Watch for the intake, just behind, and slightly above, the starboard exhausts; it's on the sprue, and there are light etchings, for it, on the cowling, but it doesn't get a mention in the instructions. Likewise the Coffmann teardrop starter bulge, same side, and just behind the prop, but lower down, on the side panel; it's there, but not mentioned.

Edgar

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the hints, Edgar. I hope I remember when I get that far.

Made some progress the last few days. Here are the cockpit parts with an oil wash and the wheel wells and wings assembled. Debating on making the seat black to stand out or some leather color as I've started. And now where to find proper seat belts.

PCM_all1.jpg

PCM_all2.jpg

PCM_all3.jpg

Working primarily on this, my MDC Arado 234b and the Hasegawa P-47D which is the furthest along with the main assembly done and a coat of Aclad II Duraluminum on it. Then a wing broke and I got discouraged but the wing is finally back on and ready for touch up paint. The Arado is farther along assembly wise than this Spit but the Spit has paint. None on the Arado yet save the wheel wells. Which will cross the finish line first?

Eduard's set 32 088 has a set of Sutton belts, parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 28, 29.

Edgar

Thanks Edgar! And here I have a $10 coupon for HobbyTown USA and I bet they don't carry PE at all and if so not that. Off to the LHS.

Edgar, Scifi, guys,

Not to hijack this thread - but in relation to this build - what are the main differences between a MK V cockpit and a Mk IX cockpit? :rolleyes: Isn't it essentially the same bird in the office but with a different engine, airframe changes? (running for cover - I am definitely NOT a boffin) <_<

Specifically, would the IP, seat, and floor be the same?

Also, is there an equivalent walk-around type book that shows photos of Spitfire Mk IX cockpits that could be recommended?

TIA,

Scott

Colour's O.K., but it wasn't mahogany, just a paper/resin mix, which was red, when completed. The quilted backrest was normally leather, though, and often black. The harness, supplied, is a post-war version, and it needs a Sutton harness for a wartime Spitfire. Watch for the intake, just behind, and slightly above, the starboard exhausts; it's on the sprue, and there are light etchings, for it, on the cowling, but it doesn't get a mention in the instructions. Likewise the Coffmann teardrop starter bulge, same side, and just behind the prop, but lower down, on the side panel; it's there, but not mentioned.

Edgar

Hi SciFi...looks great so far, the smallish intake is part C5 and the Coffman starter is C26. Plus, there should also be the fuel cap on top of the nose, which needs to be added by the modeler, plus a circular access panel forward and to the left of the fuel cap, on the forwad side of the engine cowl panel line, and also two relief holes in behind the fuel cap on either side of the nose seam.

Brad

Thanks, Brad. I'll be adding this thread as references to check!

Scott, the Spit is not my one of my more knowledgeable birds. I only got the PCM kit because of all the Spits the Mk. XI is arguably the best and since I only build 32nd or bigger scales (save for bombers and a few favorites or perhaps a kit I've heard of that is supposedly excellent) I wanted this Spit in my collection as important. I also have the Revell release of the Hasegawa Mk. I, II which I feel is also important as a BOB bird. But to my point. I am using the Aero Details book on the Mk. XI and I mainly got it for cockpit pictures. In regards to the cockpit, it was a waste of $30. It pretty much only shows the instrument panels and the upper parts of the forward sidewalls. No shots of aft sidewalls or all the controls on the lower sidewalls where everything is. Very disappointing for an otherwise great series of books. Therefore I don't have an answer on the cockpit as I don't have any good shots of the Mk. XI office. I'd like to know myself and then I can get some good reference shots of thew Mk. V.

Any differences are only cosmetic; the main items are the same. On late IXs, which had the gyro gunsight fitted, the throttle lever was changed, so that the handle rotated and set the wingspan of the target a/c. Two cables ran from the handle, up to the gunsight. To find wartime photos, you need the Pilot's Notes, on the IX/XI/XVI, which are available from Crecy Publications, and the manual, on the V/Seafire, from the RAF Museum.

Edgar

Any differences are only cosmetic; the main items are the same. On late IXs, which had the gyro gunsight fitted, the throttle lever was changed, so that the handle rotated and set the wingspan of the target a/c. Two cables ran from the handle, up to the gunsight. To find wartime photos, you need the Pilot's Notes, on the IX/XI/XVI, which are available from Crecy Publications, and the manual, on the V/Seafire, from the RAF Museum.

Edgar

Many Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear. This opens doors with some resin cockpit options to correct some of these issues that have been noted. Thanks!

Scott