32 nd scale Hawker Tempest the hard way...

Loic

second shot....

I forgot but I do use miliput for the "heavy" work (appears in tan/brown on the pics) and tamiya filler for the finition work (apprears in grey on the pics).

later

loic

post-3547-1209123421.jpg

Howdy Loic!!, Happy to see you got your parts! I have another present for you. I feel you might need some "inspiration", so I digitally repainted(didn't even have to clean a brush! :rolleyes: ) a Tempest for you in a flight simulator. Pierre Clostermann's Tempest....marked JJ-B...of 274 Squadron...late war. I took it for a spin to shoot down a Ju-88 over the channel, just for kicks :rolleyes: . Didn't know the serial#, so I gave it NV994(his old(?) JF-E aircraft). Also didn't know the camo too well, so I basically just guessed. If it's not correct, let me know and I'll make it right for ya buddy. Enjoy the show. Russ

post-4413-1209192616.jpg

These are small file sizes, (30KB), so I'll post a few.

I only gave him a short squirt with the "can openers", and just tagged/flamed him enough to give a good flyby pic. The fire went out too quickly, but at least the rear gunner quit shooting at me. Note to all, no live animals or people were hurt in the filming of these pics. Just a bunch of dots on a screen. :rolleyes:

post-4413-1209192872.jpg

Parting shot. I'll be sending you some more full size pics via email(they make great screen savers for the PC). I can take a pic of this aircraft flying in ANY weather, against ANY type of other aircraft, in just about any situation your imagination desires. Should have included some pics of the LG and flaps out, and cockpit interior, different under wing stores, but didn't want to hijack your thread. Hope this gets you pumped up a little! :rolleyes: Enjoy. Russ

post-4413-1209193601.jpg

Hey man,

it does look fantastic! The shot with the burning Ju 88 is now my desktop wall-paper.

I do not have much details about JJ o B (serial or else). I just know that this is the sheme I want to apply (until I change my mind....).

Thanks mate!

Loic

Bonjour Skiner,

oui s'il te plait, ce serait super car si j'ai quelques profils de JF o E, je n'ai quasi rien d'autre sur JJ o B que l'édition 2000 du grand cirque... soit pas grand chose.

merci,

Loic

Loic

I've just read this from start to finish and all I can say is wow, what a build! Its quite an inspirational piece of work and I think its inspired me to get back to doing something after a particularly lengthy period of inactivity. So - excellent work and thanks for getting me back up and running.

Matt

Hello everybody,

it's been 3 days or so since the last update on the Tempest built and I thought I should pop up and tell you what's going on.

Well, first of all, I did not have much time for modelling this weekend as I have been hosting my sister for 2 days first :rolleyes: and I had to work big time on my wife's car as she crashed it (front and rear end!) :rolleyes: last week... that did leave me about only 4 hours or so for the Tempest. :(

I then spent those valuable 4 hours working on the external fuel tank trying to build up something decent... which is not quite easy. :rolleyes:

I used 2 Revell P40E ext fuel tank as a base, sanded them and changed the trailing end to make it sharper/more like a cone. I initially though of using mustang tanks but they are too big. They represent 70 US GAL capacity and are far bigger the 200L or so Tempest tanks. In that, the P40E 50 US GAL or so are closer. In order to change the shape of the trailling end, I inserted a nail to set the lenght and rebuild the thing with putty. That is the easy bit!

Here is a pic

post-3547-1209415319.jpg

So... this took about an hour.

Next job is to build the pylons and framing on which they were fitted... and that is an other story! I spent about 3 hours yesterday and an other 1 today trying to work this out with what I consider as no results at all!

Those framing are quite difficult to replicate as they first have a rather complicated shape, they must have a perfect fit on the underside of the wing and the top side of the tank and they are translucents/clear :rolleyes:

This excludes most of the typical methods I know which are calling for adjustment and putty.

I though about making those from clear resin as did Paul B for his Tempest but that is difficult for 2 reasons which are:

1) I do not have much experience of resin casting but I guess I can try out

2) I would have to cast the pylon directly on the tank and because it is clear, one will be able to see the tank through and it is made from green plastic were it should be grey. If I do paint it before casting, I am affraid the paint will get badly damaged by the resin...

In some other words, I am stuck with little idea on how to do those bloody pylons so any idea or suggestion from LSPers will be much welcome!

I have also been thinking about the wheels as a way to change my mind from the tanks... and this is going to be an other serious chalenge.

I first do not have any certainty on the dimensions of the wheels...

I measured/understand the Typhoon wheels as being (in 32nd scale):

27.5mm overall diametre

9mm hub diametre

8.5mm in width

I understand the Tempest wheels as being slightly smaller such as:

25mm overall diametre

12.5mm hub diametre

7mm with

It would be very helpfull if anyone could confirm or correct those values...

This explude the possibility of using the Typhoon item as a base... Been thinking about it all day (even at work: sic!) and can not find anything even close to use as a base in my stash... I tryed to make a patern for the hub tonight but what I came with was... well... very disappointing.

So once again, any suggestion or idea from you guys would be very welcome

As one says, "no guts, no glory" so I think I have to go through this to prove myself I can do it... thanks for following and hope to come back soon with some better news of the Hawker Monster!

Cheers,

Loic