Komet !

Tony Mollica

Hello Tony,

A very good decision. Here are two photos of the Yellow 11 taken at Hyde Park. Though Rob's site have the first one, this seems more clear.

11_1.jpg

11_2.jpg

Have a good day,

Batur

Fantastic Batur, thank you very much. Interesting He 162 in the background too.

Its a pleasure Tony. And, Thomas, the He 162 was 120086. I visited the 120086 at Ottawa in 2001. It was the first WWII German aircraft I saw in my life.

The cowling on the 163 photo was probably from a Ta152. The spinner looks more like from a late type Stuka.

162_1.jpg

162_2.jpg

Good night,

batur

Its a pleasure Tony. And, Thomas, the He 162 was 120086. I visited the 120086 at Ottawa in 2001. It was the first WWII German aircraft I saw in my life.

The cowling on the 163 photo was probably from a Ta152. The spinner looks more like from a late type Stuka.

batur

Fantastic information Batur, thanks for the photos. Coincidentally, I have a He 162 build in the planning stages now. It may be my next build.

Well I've drilled out several small intakes, filled the cooling slots in the rear fuselage - this particular aircraft didn't have them, fitted the windows, pitot and antenna, and temporarily attached the canopy.

I found the fit of the windows to the fuselage a little problematic. I had to knock them out once as I wasn't happy with the fit. Thankfully I used white glue to fix them, so it wasn't too hard too break the bond. I also dipped them in Future for added clarity.

I also broke off the skid. This looks a bit ugly but will actually make painting easier, so it will stay off until at least the underside is painted, if not until after the whole aircraft is painted.

It's all but ready for priming, I'll post the final bare plastic shots tomorrow.

Thanks for bearing with me so far.

Cheers

Tony Mollica

Here's the next update:

These will be the last photos of the thing in bare plastic. It's ready to prime, except for a little masking on the windows. The 2nd photo illustrates th broken skid mounts well. These will take some time to fix.

The last photo shows the cooling slits on the rear fuselage. This aircraft didn't have them, so they've been filled with CA gel.

The canopy is only tacked on with a few drops of white glue. I'll remove it after the primer and overall RLM76 are done, mask the frames and spray the interior frame colour and exterior camouflage colours. I'll also replace the seat and detail, add the gunsight and other bits and bobs then.

It will be a couple of days before it's primed. It was 41 degrees celsius today and is still well over 30 at 11.22pm. It's going to be just as hot tomorrow.

Need much cooler weather to even consider spray painting in the garage.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Tony

041.jpg

042.jpg

039-1.jpg

Nice work Tony. I busted the effing landing skid off mine too, so you have my sympathies. It's a real weakness with this kit - literally! If I were to build another one, I think I'd either work out a method where the skid didn't have to be attached until after the fuselage was closed up, or rebuild the supports out of stronger material. My worry now is will the whole thing be strong enough to support the model once it's repaired?

Looking forward to seeing some paint on yours!

Kev

Me three! The supports broke on mine too. Just put it back together but who knows how long it'll last. Hase's instructions call for the skid to be extended when the trolley is attached but there are photos of the 163 that show it retracted too. It does look more interesting with the skid extended but it appears that either way would be correct.

Me three! The supports broke on mine too. Just put it back together but who knows how long it'll last. Hase's instructions call for the skid to be extended when the trolley is attached but there are photos of the 163 that show it retracted too. It does look more interesting with the skid extended but it appears that either way would be correct.

Interesting John, I didn't know that. I think if I can find some photos that verify that, I might even go with that option. Something to consider Tony!

Kev

Just got a chance to do a quick reference check. Wm. Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich has pictures on pages 601 and 604 of 163's with the skid retracted with the trolley mounted. These are wartime photos. Most of the planes in museums today also have the skid up.

Just got a chance to do a quick reference check. Wm. Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich has pictures on pages 601 and 604 of 163's with the skid retracted with the trolley mounted. These are wartime photos. Most of the planes in museums today also have the skid up.

Just had a look through my meagre references too John (mostly the Schiffer book), and the majority of photos show the skid retracted, as well as the tail wheel assembly in the 'up' position. So, that's what I'll go with for my build, which is a good thing, as nearly all the skid mounting struts have snapped off my mine! :angry:

What are you going to do with the landing dolly on yours Tony?

Kev

Just had a look through my meagre references too John (mostly the Schiffer book), and the majority of photos show the skid retracted, as well as the tail wheel assembly in the 'up' position. So, that's what I'll go with for my build, which is a good thing, as nearly all the skid mounting struts have snapped off my mine! :angry:

What are you going to do with the landing dolly on yours Tony?

Kev

Hi Kev,

Skid retracted sounds good. The hydraulic pressure must have bled off over time or some such thing. Although I do have a photo somewhere of a dolly that looks like the Hasegawa one, it is a museum aircraft and there is no guarantee of authenticity. Therefore, as far as I can tell, the kit dolly is pretty inaccurate.

Eduard have a reasonable diagram on what needs to be done in the instructions for their etch set 32058. You can surf over the the Eduard site and look it up, or, if I can find your email address, I'll email it to you.

Brian - thanks very much for the encouragement

Cheers

Tony