Revell RF-4C Phantom

Derek B

amazing work my friend!!!!!! I am amazed with the clear parts. Can you explain how you did it and what tools did you use? You used CA to glue them in place? then how did you polish it? Can i use your technic for the canopy? Thank you and sorry if i ask too much!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian: Thanks for the complements mate :rolleyes:.

Perikelis: I am pleased that you liked the results - thank you very much. All I used were the items that you see in the photographs. If you have never tried them before, I would highly recommend that you purchase Mastercasters sanders and Miracle shiners - they are simply awesome! (Graham Marsh aka 'Lancman', as well as many other satisfied LSP'er's will testify their worth). So, for you, here's what I did:

1) Clean up and trim/sand the edges of the clear parts to make sure that hey fit the kit properly.

2) Dip the clear parts in Johnson's Kleer (or 'Future' - depending where you purchase it from) acrylic floor polish.

3) Place the clear parts into their correct location on the kit and secure them in place by applying Cynoacrylate (Superglue) to the outside edges of the clear

parts only (not inside). The Johnson's Kleer/Future helps prevent fogging from the glue fumes.

4) Using a course (flat) sanding stick, sand the whole of the outside of the clear part (and Superglue) until it is flush with the kit fuselage.

5) Use gradually finer grades of sanding sticks until clarity is restored to the clear part and the fuselage/clear part is smooth and polished (Mastercasters

sanders and Miracle shiners are perfect for this task, and only take minutes to complete it with professional results).

6) To improve the clarity of the parts even more, apply more Johson's Kleer/Future to both sides of the clear parts (if you get the Kleer/Future wrong, or it

doesn't turn out right, remove the Kleer/Future with some Amonia based solvent such as 'Windex' or similar cleaning fluids - in fact, anything with Amonia in

it, then re-apply new Kleer/Future).

I hope that this clarifies things for you.

Derek

Derek mate thank you very much for the detailed SBS guide. One more question. Futre in the UK is known as? And sorry a second one from where can i buy these Mastercasters sanders and Miracle shiners?

My friend honestly i have never seen anything as shiny as these windows!!!!!!

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just jumping in here to answer

Futre in the UK is known as?

Johnsons Klear - seen at my local Asda supermarket last week , for a whole £2.54 .. :unsure:

Oh Derek - brilliant work with the clear parts - I have a terrible feeling I may be following you down the RF-4c path one of these days , once the F-4B is out of the way , I really want to try my hand at "Tumbleweed" - the most beat up F-4 ever..

Hi Periklis,

Thank you for the kind words once more. Scotsman is correct, here in the UK it is known as Johnsons Klear floor wax (it is actually a clear acrylic floor polish - I also mispellled it in my earlier posts - sorry). You can find the Mastercasters linke for the sanders below:

Johsons Klear

Swanny models Future article

Mastercasters

Karl: Thanks for the compliments - your F-14B is every bit equally as impressive.

Scotsman: 'Tumbleweed' would look stunning - you gotta do it!

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

They look great my friend!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait to see it finished!!!!!!!!!! I know loads of work still to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am building an F-4E everything scratch, cockpit, radar, fuel pipe lines, a/c unit, engine bay the lot but it is in 1/48!!!!!! Can i post it?

Hi Periklis,

Thanks for the continuing encouragement. In answer to your 1/48 Phantom question, the answer is yes, you can. You need to post your pictures in the 'General discussion' section, as your model isn't 1/32 scale or larger. Good luck with it, it sounds like it shall be a wonderful model when completed.

Derek

(P.S. I have just booked a holiday in Rhodes for the last week in September B) :))

They look great my friend!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait to see it finished!!!!!!!!!! I know loads of work still to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am building an F-4E everything scratch, cockpit, radar, fuel pipe lines, a/c unit, engine bay the lot but it is in 1/48!!!!!! Can i post it?