Converting Mk1 to Mk 11c Hurricane 1/24

HL709

Hi,

Erwin's hit the nail on the head I'm afraid there are no conversion sets for the 1/24th Hurricane.

As for the Airfix MkII kit, it has been shelved indefinitely according to Trevor Snowdon when I last got the chance to speak to him at a show. Apparently it's all to do with limited funds and the fact that the new Spitfires, Nimrod and Canberra's offer a much greater return for the outlay on new sprues etc... I kinda picked up that Trevor would still like to do this kit but don't hold your breath.

Sorry for bearing bad news,

Bob A ;)

To do it yourself is not easy; the gunbays differ, so you have to rescribe new covers. The biggest hassle is the longer nose. 4 inches were added to the back of the cowlings, at the firewall. This is not the panel line near the wing leading edge, but just in front of the cockpit. This pushed everything forward, and played havoc with the wingroot fairing. If you look at photos, you'll see that the front of the fairing extends further forward, on the II, than the I. If you want to leave off the cowlings, you'll have to alter the engine bearers, and add an extra section to the blower, at the rear of the engine. You'll need a new spinner, and, almost certainly, propellor. On IICs the radiator was changed, too. If you want to go with the engine alteration, I should have (somewhere) photos of the Merlin III & XX

Edgar

Conversion of Airfix's 1/24 Hurricane I kit to a Mk.IIC, Mk.IID, Mk.IV or Sea Hurricane is described in:

Robertson and Scarborough: 'Hawker Hurricane' (Classic Aircraft series, No. 4; Patrick Stephens/ Airfix [uK], 1974; 104 pages) -- AIRCRAFT TYPES INCLUDED: Hawker Hurricane; COCKPIT DETAIL: Hurricane I (p. 73-76, 78-79); WHEELWELL DETAIL: Hurricane (p. 81); MISCELLANEOUS DETAIL: Hurricane fuselage structure (inside front cover, p. 22, 73), flap detail (p. 12, 26), radiator (p. 82); Hurricane I gun bay (p. 64, 80, 81), engine bay (p. 72, 86-89); Hurricane II & Hurricane IV wing cannon installation (p. 97), 40mm underwing cannon (p. 34, 99), bomb rack (p. 101, inside back cover), droptank (inside back cover), tail wheel (p. 92); Hurricane IV armored radiator & rocket installation (inside back cover); Sea Hurricane arresting hook (p. 41, 93, 94); MULTI-VIEW DRAWINGS: Hurricane II & Hurricane IV nose (p. 91); SPECIFIC MARKING PROFILES: Hurricane I (p. 15, 17, 19-21, 25, 33, 53), Hurricane II (p. 29, 36, 43, 45, 47-51, 56, 59), Sea Hurricane XII (p. 41), Hurricane IV (p. 52, 55, 60)

Although this excellent book is out of print, it's not terribly difficult to find through OOP book dealers.

Charles Metz

Unfortunately, the PSL book based their measurements on a projected Mk.II Hurricane, which never went into production. It was felt that a larger oil tank would be necessary, but experiments showed that the extra weight, up front, made the thing uncontrollable. The new tank was dropped, and the fuselage extension was 4 inches (1/6th inch, on the model.) When Peter Cooke was researching, for his scratchbuilt 1/24th models, he concentrated on the rear fuselage, because he'd discovered that the real aircraft didn't match the drawings; Arthur Bentley changed his drawings because of Peter's research. I measured 4 Mk.IIs, and 3 Mk.I Hurricanes, and went to the RAF Museum, to check on the A.P.s. Everything came back to that 4 inches. Even the Merlin XX is 4 inches longer than the Merlin III.

On all of the other details the book is brilliant.

Edgar

Thanks for all the advice folks! Next stop is Abebooks to find the out of print books you describe ...... and the a lot of careful scratch building!!! I'll post the results in a few months!!! Simon Dufton