Spitfire Mk5b question

alaninaustria

Hej guys.. been plugg'in away at my Mk5b... and I have a few questions.... on the upper antenae mast... did the Mk5b just have the mast or did they also have the wire going to the tail.... and if so..... did it go to the top of the rudder?

There is a rather bulbous glass part on the top of the fuse just behind the mast, was this a rotating beacon light ? Is it to be finished as a clear glass part?

Thanks in advance guys... hoping to get this bird finished soon and get the digital camera fixed too so I can post a pic or two...

being my first Spitfire... it sure has been slow going!

Cheers

Alan :lol:

If you're keeping the radio control box, as supplied in the kit (Hasegawa 1/32nd., right?) there would be no aerial wire, since it was for the T.R. 1196, or 1304 VHF radio. This had a whip aerial, which was fed inside the aerial mast. The light was just a white upward identification light, same, in use, as the downward-facing orange light. They could be a steady beam, or used to flash morse messages.

Edgar

Hej Guys! Thanks for the help! Mark: I am sorryto disappoint... but I am saving the Canadian markings for the MDC Tiffie! This Spit will have early war Polish markings!!

Edgar: Thanks for the info.... but I need to know which radio part is included in the kit... to be able to determine whether I need the wire or not... I tend to think that I don't , and the photos I have of this machine are almost impossible to determine if the wire was present or not... if you could let me know which part number (I am using the Revell Mk II converted to Mk 5b), that would be great!

Thanks again guys!

Cheers

Alan

If you look on sprue "C," part no.9; that's your radio. It goes into the top left-hand corner of the cockpit, just the other side of the door. The small pips are the push-buttons, signifying the later radio. The early radio had a smaller box, with a knurled knob, on the top, which the pilot rotated to get the required frequency. On the later type, he simply pushed the required button.

Edgar

Alan,

Are you converting the Revell Mk.II back to a VB, using the wings from the II? I have several of the original Hasegawa VBs, and have no intention of building them as VBs. If you haven't started on your wings, would you like to swap them for one of my VB sets? I'm just being a little selfish, since it is easier (less difficult) to convert the wings, from the II, than a VB, since it doesn't have any bulges to get rid of. B) :P

Edgar

Edgar, sorry to say that I completed the wings lat year already! She is just weeks away from the paint job..... I have a second set of wings from the Revell MkI/II but they are already started. Thanks though for the help, I appreciate it!

Cheers

Alan

P.s here is the last update:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Works/Troi...2/Spitfire.html

Hello Alan,

To complete Edgar comments:

Mk V had either the TR9D, the TR1133 or the TR1143 radio systems. TR9D was the only one that requested the wire aerial between the tail and mast. TR9D was an earlier system and others were generally installed in later production models. However, the technical manual considered the possibility to switch from one to the other one (including removing the TR1133/1143 to put a TR9D! According to the same technical manual, tropicalized Spit used the TR9D.

HTH

Thierry! Thanks for the input... I think I will be putting an aerial on her after all!

Adamb, I am going to be doing an early version of the Mk5b..... Polish squadron! Have a look in the In works section to catch the latest!

Cheers and thanks for the help guys!

Alan