P-40B Warhawk 1/32 Pearl Harbor 07.Dec.1941

olgerd83

Hi everybody!

Here is my next project and it's  P-40B from well-known Trumpeter kit with some additional kits: Eduard's PE interior and 0.30 barrels from Model Master.

image.jpg 20140419_151204.jpg

I want to make a model of one of the planes, which successfully defeated Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack.

I have not decided yet would it be either #160 or #316. For today I have some doubts about the markings of those planes, whether they had white numbers or they didn't, because I haven't found yet any information or photo evidence.

P_40_B_01.jpg P_40_B_02.jpg

May be I'll the model of this plane, because this photo clearly illustrates the camo scheme, markings etc.

62min.jpg

oleg i am looking forward to seeing you work this one.  

there were units with the inline white numbers for sure.  i would have to dig to tell you which....believe one was the 44th pursuit group.  others were a mix of black tail numbers, black tail numbers with unit numbers, black unit numbers, and such.  i have both the pic you have of the black 82 on the ground and in flight a few months before the attack.  sadly most of the records for the individual aircraft were lost in a fire long ago.  there are some scans in a long ago issue of a magazine, sadly i have the scans but not the name of the magazine.   

i wish you a smooth build and i will enjoy watching you build it up.

joe

Just picked up this very kit after seeing the wonderful diorama on here...few weeks ago.....and I would be tracking yr build as well as I am torn between flying tigers/ Pearl Harbor or RAF

happy building

rgds

mr b

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

let's go further, the cockpit is finally completed, I glued both sides of the fuselage and wings, made few wires inside the undercarriage, I want to make covers with windows, which were used

on every plane, so these wires would be noticeable. To be continued....

20140521_215048.jpg

20140521_215144.jpg

20140522_115816.jpg

20140522_115822.jpg

20140522_115833.jpg

20140522_115844.jpg

20140522_115853.jpg

20140522_115921.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Oleg,

You are making nice progress here and what you have done looks good. I built this kit several years ago and was really happy with it. My build was modeled after the P-40B flown by Lt. George Welsh on December 7, 1941(credited with four confirmed kills-all Val divebombers). His aircraft's side code was "160" in white numbers like in your first post. The markings on the tailfin were "81" on top and "15P" below it in black. The plane flown by Lt. Ken Taylor was either "155" or "157". The researcher who gave me this information years ago was writing a book on Welsh. There were a number of U.S. Army planes at Pearl Harbor that carried white number side markings on December 7th. The reason they got added is a little humorous. It seems some of the base commanders wanted a way to "track down" a specific pilot that conducted any aerial offense during routine or daily operations. Having planes marked with large white numbers made identification easy. One more "fun fact", on early war Army planes, the "U.S. ARMY" marking on the bottom of the wing is in dark blue and not black. Good luck on the build. I look forward to your progress.

Phillip1

• 2 weeks later...