hawkenstien 3 .....finished

fightnjoe

i contemplate my next project.  

i have been looking alot at cutaway builds.  as i look at them i am drawn to the incredible skill needed to create a build that has such incredible detail.  now i wonder if i am capable of pulling off one of these.  

for it i would need a subject that i am somewhat familiar with.  easy.  the p-40 fits the bill very very well.  i have some knowledge of it and have a number of references for it.  next up will be am i up for such a challenge?  i think so, maybe, possibly, i hope ???.

so next up is what kit to do.  

i have the 1/48 revell/monogram p-40b. (used for hawkenstien 2)
i have the 1/32 hasegawa p-40e.
i have the 1/32 trumpeter p-40b.

they each have pros and cons.  

decisions, decisions.

i am thinking of a cutaway showing engine area, cockpit area, and area behind the pit.  so much i could do with the 1/32 stuff.  the revell kit however is inexpensive and i have no sorrow with cutting one up.  

well i have made the choice, i think.  

boxart_zps542e88f8.jpg

so with that choice made next up step one....

instructions call for the engine area to be worked on.  i think i am a bit away from that.  first for me is choosing where the cuts will be made to show some of the interior.

so.........

cuts_zps69a618cb.jpg

so onward and upward my friends.  onward and upward.  

just hope i do it justice.

joe

Edited by fightnjoe

ok folks we have sliced and diced a bit today and here is where we are.

first the slice....

cutting-done-1_zpscfdbb356.jpg

cutting-done-2_zps33eb6eee.jpg

i wanted to show some of the areas that have the most interest as well as giving a show to what is behind closed doors in the back.

now what took me most of the day.

ribbing-2_zps52d90c40.jpg

ribbing-1_zps766d2996.jpg

now i did notice one of the vertical pieces is off a bit.  fixed.  i also forgot to cut out the hatch on the oposite side.  no biggie.  i will get that done.  

so the madness has begun for sure and there is no turning back now.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

......wheel assembly.  did i get ya????

well just a little update. 

i am working this tail to nose.  i can see some things that may not go well if i work it the other way. 

working with the kit tail wheel assembly.  this may stay or go.  depending on if i can find decent pictures of the assembly between now and when i get ready to close it up.

so first here it is...

tail-wheel-assembly-4_zps3f483a18.jpg

tail-wheel-assembly-5_zpsc3d9c47f.jpg

and then with just a generic wash.

tail-wheel-assembly-1_zps76b6c8fc.jpg

tail-wheel-assembly-2_zpse349ada8.jpg

tail-wheel-assembly-3_zps8ca1249f.jpg

i still need to dry wash this to get some of the detail to pop a bit.  i added bolt heads to the areas that seemed logical.  this may not seem like much but all told it took me and my shakey hands about 4 hours to get it decent.

joe

a little bonus.

i browsed the net for a while looking for some good pictures i could use to help with the pit and found some that showed a different look than i expected.  after a few words i succumbed to the need to fix what i had done so here is my fix.

mod-2_zps82346cfb.jpg

while doing this i wanted to make sure that everything would work.  first up is to modify the rear bulkhead of the pit and drop the floor.  

success....

i think.

mod-1_zps046ab83d.jpg

next up will be to make sure the front bulkhead will fit the way i need it to.  

joe

• 2 weeks later...
well it has been a while since an update was posted.  had some issues with the white not showing very well in the pictures.  with that in mind i waited and fabricated and then painted.  

and the results.......well not entirely happy but i will explain that in a few.

first of all was the fuel tank.  this is one of four tanks that is present.  thanks to saul "sharkmouth" garcia and his vault of references.

my rendition.

fuse-tank-1_zps47bd0b46.jpg

and a first for me.  the recievers.  all 5 of them are represented as well as the dynamotors.

recievers-6_zps10c8d1ef.jpg

recievers-5_zps68ccaa7f.jpg

and skipping ahead a bit, here is all of it together.

recievers-2_zps9769ad56.jpg

recievers-1_zps8bc8367a.jpg

now with all of that what can you possibly see?  well here...

recievers-3_zps70dca6a9.jpg

recievers-4_zps45aa97e5.jpg

all told i am not unsatisfied with the receivers and such.  they look almost ok.  i am however not real happy with the pipping, wiring, and such.

may have to revisit that before it gets closed up.  

next up will be either the pit or the engine compartment.  not sure just yet.  

joe

well folks here i am again.  tearing apart a model and then trashing my own work and restarting.

so after a lot of researching, a chat with a model builder that i have a large respect for, well.... a different plan was needed.  so with that in mind i tore out all that was interior of hawkenstien.  all the framework was removed.  this allowed me the chance to grind out around the hatch door a bit to get it more to something that i like.  then i used the tools at hand to try to get the framework right.  i wanted to have a good foundation.  still not sure it is right but it is closer than what i had before.  

using one of those wire shape transfer thingies, a thick plastic for sale sign, paper, a scissor, a pencil, knives, and sanding material i began.  i first got the general shape onto the paper and cut it out.  i traced the shape onto plastic times two.  cutting them out i glued one to the other and then rough shaped it, using lots of dryfitting to try to get it as close as i could.  three sets plus three of the bulkheads were made.  finally i had six builkheads i can use.  they are still rough but they are a good general shape.  as i do not have the entire side cut out these will work for what i need.  i will clean them up though to make sure all fits the way it should.  

pictures.

framework-4_zps88a8b02d.jpg

framework-3_zps76ad56a3.jpg

framework-1_zpsb0ba5834.jpg

framework-2_zpscbaab1ed.jpg

now before it is mentioned remember the bulkheads are glued in with white glue.  just to try to give me the idea of what they would look like and what they still needed to have done.  i also noticed that #4 and #6 are a bit off.  they should be easy to get in line.  my next session will be getting the spacing right and then trying to get some stringers on.  

till the next time my friends.

joe

• 2 weeks later...

well folks here i am. back to square one.

bulkheads.

after many attempts. many "failures", i have what i believe i can live with.

so,

out came the contour gauge.
out came the plastic "for sale" sign.
out came the sissors.
out came the drawings for the bulkheads as i eluded to earlier.
and after multiple attempts.

bulkheads-1_zps85c42c5b.jpg
bulkheads-2_zps665edb2c.jpg
bulkheads-3_zps34218de6.jpg

where the interior will be seen they have been notched to allow for stringers on the cut side. i believe i can now move forward and redo the interior additions.

all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe