Hawker Typhoon Pulverizer IV

I have re-kindled my MDC build and plan on making it Harry Hardy's Pulverizer IV (18-P) just before the war ended in Europe.

I only have one profile drawing of this plane. Does anyone have a good pic or two of it?

I have re-kindled my MDC build and plan on making it Harry Hardy's Pulverizer IV (18-P) just before the war ended in Europe.

I only have one profile drawing of this plane. Does anyone have a good pic or two of it?

Ron,

I'm not familiar with "Pulverizer IV," but here's a photo of Harry Hardy's "Pulverizer II" (18-P):

typhoona52.jpg

from this Typhoon page on the National Defence and Canadian Forces website.

Charles Metz

For whatever they may be worth, all of the sources I've seen agree that that photo shows "Pulverizer II".

Charles Metz

I don't doubt you're right Charles, I just recalled the pic and sheet on the CanMilAir site of 18 - P, without realizing it was II instead of IV. One thing worth looking into Ron is if IV was a late Typhoon it might have the larger Tempest-style tailplanes, which aren't included in the kit.

I don't doubt you're right Charles, I just recalled the pic and sheet on the CanMilAir site of 18 - P, without realizing it was II instead of IV. One thing worth looking into Ron is if IV was a late Typhoon it might have the larger Tempest-style tailplanes, which aren't included in the kit.

Here's a larger, cropped version of the photo that Kagemusha and I posted:

90-1024x537.jpg

... and a closer look at the barely legible name on the aircraft's cowl, which looks a bit more like "Pulverizer II" than "Pulverizer IV" to me:

90zoom.jpg

As always, I'm posting these scans under the standard "Fair Use" conditions, which I trust everyone here will respect.

Charles Metz

Ron...I was out with Harry for a pint last year...email me direct and I can help you out...prattda@telus.net or if you can get your hands on 2nd Tactical Air Force,Volume 3 you'll be more than set.I picked the entire 4 volume set up from amazon.ca for under 200$...great books and tons of detail...I'm working on his "Pulverizer II" circa Dec,25/44...

And a crystal clear photo of RB389 clearly reading Pulverizer IV with 1,000lb bombs (I did it many years ago) in that weighty 'Fighter Squadrons Of The R.A.F.' by J. Rawlings.

Good catch, Dave. I hadn't noticed that one before, but it turns out to be the same as the upper-left photo I posted immediately above.

Charles Metz

Good catch, Dave. I hadn't noticed that one before, but it turns out to be the same as the upper-left photo I posted immediately above.

Charles Metz

Hi Charles,

Yes it is mate---I actually had'nt given time for the page to fully load and the pics had'nt come up---sorry 'bout that Charles.

Cheers,

Dave.

Wow, thanks guys. Charles that's perfect! RB389 is the plane I am doing.

Dave, PM in bound. My only question is whether the Pulverizer name was white or yellow on no. IV

All the decals I need come in the MDC kit aside from the name which I think I can hand paint pretty easily.

Great pics Charles, I now know I need to blank out the sky ID band with a darker version of RAF dk green. That will be a nice touch to this build :mental:

Kagemusha, I think it's the early tail as per the kit.

Thanks again, I am really looking forward to this build. Harry is one of my war time hero's and this build I hope will end up in the military museum here in Cowtown along with a Bio of Harry’s (they don’t know it yet though so here’s hoping).

Ron

I think you're right about the tail being the earlier type, though one thing which the pics beneath the profile shows is that it carries "C 1" roundels, with outer yellow rings, above and beneath the wings. I'd go with white for the name - just compare it with the colours on the roundel.

Another question for you folks. Any idea if the leading edge of the wings were yellow or not? the profile drawing shows them as yellow but it almost looks like the photo shows differently.

This particular plane finished the war, I see the sky ID band is painted out and the spinner is black, this leads me to think the yellow leading edges were likely painted out as well as per RAF protocol for late war paint scheme i.e. black spinner, no sky ID band and no yellow leading edges?

Any thoughts