1/32 Fw190 A-5 Hasagawa

ChrisS

Starts like this:

Pit is OOB with MDC seat, instrument decals and throttle, and some piping and hoses here and there. I also added some nuts and bolts to the rear bulkhead and used some spare PE parts for the harness attach points.

As usual it'll be a long haul.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

PS: I'm going to re-do the ammo counters because they are a sloppy mess <_<

post-4-1102810680.jpg

Chris Hannover: Yup, got your email :D I must confess I did not know that detail, thanks for the note I will change that right away. On the panel lines that's just an oil paint wash, fairly aggresive using the color "Umber."

Chris Blak Dog: You are too kind sir, your Dora will be my inspiration as I get further along I am sure.

Thanks so far...tonight I work on the gunsight and maybe I can get the fuse mated.

Black Dog: Any advice on mating the top wing sections to the fuse first? Anything to look out for would be well recieved. I'm thinking of trying that method but the kit goes together so well, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

More pics soon.

Hi Chris.

Really nice work.

Do not know what Black Dog will suggest, but I have almost finished my A5 lately (she's in all-too-long painting stage), and there was no problem with joining wings to fuselage in "classic method" (ie. gluing wings together first and then attaching them to the fuselage). Fit was very good. The only problematic area was an "insert" part between bottom engine cowling and wings - there was a small join gap to fill in a very uncomfortable place. But maybe it was just my error.

BTW - I wouldn't definitely say "pit is OOB" regarding what you wrote later :o

Waiting for more pics...

Chris,

I did mate the top wing sections to the fuselage first, before mating the underwing part to the whole assembly, but I did that because my kit was filled with several extra detail sets inside the wings : Aires gun bay and Eduard PE flaps. Those two detail sets can be a problem for a good fit, and the best solution to this, in my opinion, was to first mate the top wing parts to the fuselage...

I would say that if you have no extra kit detail set inside the wings, you are pretty safe to use the standard build sequence shown on Hasegawa doc... Just be sure to try some dry-fits before applying glue, and you should be safe...

• 3 weeks later...

She's made it to the paint shop.

adamb: Yes I had this same problem with the fit on some cowling pieces. I had to fashion a shim, and fill. I was a bit dissapointed given that the rest of the kit sort of fell together. The wings turned out to be no problem at all, and the only challenge there was filling and sanding the seam that runs down the center of the MG151 acces panels. That was a chore.

Some pre-shading with Polyscale "Grimy Black," and RLM 04 Gelb Theater markings done today. If I can get the time in tonight I'll shoot the RLM 76 Licht Blau.

post-4-1104355996.jpg

The yellow has a few problems for me...

1) It needs a lot of coats going over darker colors to get opaque

2) If you shoot it over any shade of blue you have to fight it from turning green for the first few coats, and again I don't like using that much paint

3) If the yellow overlays different colors with high contrast (like RLM 76 and RLM 71 for example) you again need a lot of paint to hide the underlying hue and color contrasts

I do this with invasion stripes too, almost all "theater" type markings.