Dragon JSU-152

LSP_K2

Common drill is to add a millimeter of strip styrene around the DML hull joint to improve the clearance. I have built the DML JS-2 kit last year. The Tamiya kit is trouble free in this regard.

Regards

- dutik

That's certainly a thought, and I really appreciate the input.

Well, the warning regarding the track clearance, was all too true. Clearance is minimal, so it looks like track will be attached to lower hull, before assembling upper hull to it. Good catch there, and potentially saves me some serious grief "down the road". Here I've used a more or less straight run of track (no sag) to check clearances. With sag between return rollers, I think it'll probably look OK.

152%20tr%20004_zpst8af5hfc.jpg

Well this is rather annoying; it appears that I've installed this saddle tank backwards. Securing straps should align with tank support brackets, so I'll have to rip this off and redo it. Fortunately, I do have spares. I must have been in a big rush whenever I started this, and just wasn't paying attention, something I've been known to do from time to time.

OK, so it turns out that it's not my fault the tanks are wrong;... the kit has them molded that way (for whatever reason). As designed by Dragon, the tanks align with tabs on the saddle supports, in such a way as to virtually guarantee they won't line up correctly. Odd, very, very odd.

152%20tank%20002_zpsghbhfqo8.jpg

Kev, paint the tank white, then mask it and paint the green. That simplifies the painting of the stripes immensely.

Brendan

That was my thought as well, and might just be doable. Either way, it means masking over all sort of bumps and lumps, and that doesn't appeal to me too much. There's also a guards unit scheme that looks pretty cool, so I may end up just going that route.

Kev

Yikes, Dragon sure threw you a few curve balls.

Following all the way

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Aside from the track fit and saddle tank anomaly, it's actually been a pretty good kit so far.

Like Ron, I've decided to start building the track assemblies for this beast. Here are the two bottom runs. Once track assemblies are complete, I'll go ahead and paint lower hull and tracks, then assemble to upper hull.

152%20tracks%20001_zps9sckp4ej.jpg

Haha,  we are both on tracks!  You have a jump on me because at least Dragon supplies them all prepped and in a bag.

Yes indeed, plus once I figured out an easy way to assemble them (the instructions make no mention of this method), they get so much easier.

OK, one upper track run now complete. I realize this may look a little funky right now, but once dry, the tracks still seem to have a fair amount of pliability, so I believe I can tweak the fit better, once all sets are done.

152%20Tr%202_zps3dpgel5v.jpg