1/48 Monogram P-51D "Beautiful BEA"

xmh53wrench

Well I know this isnt LSP, but it seems I have a tiny following (MARU, OBANT) and they always seem to get a kick out of my models.

So here is the story....(true this time).....

My son-in-law is an amazing young man, and I couldnt have picked a better man for my daughter. He enlisted in the Air Force 3 years ago, enlisted as an E-3 because of college, then won "Below the Zone" to get E-4 early. Then if that wasnt enough, applied for Officer Training and was accepted, and will be graduating from that shortly, then on to basic flight school, and becoming a fighter pilot as a final objective. All this while being married, and helping to raise two toddler daughters. Quite the story.

So, I want to send this model to him for his return from OTS, in the hopes he has a den or office at some point.

Gonna be a basic OOB build but I want to build a stand for it to be in-flight. My concept was pretty basic, a flashy semi-modern paint scheme, mixed with semi-old school markings and the new Air Force logo. Paint will be similar to modern "Air Force Blue" with Red and White accents. I am keeping the cockpit "Interior Green" for even more contrast and a bit of nostalgia. Tops of flight surfaces will remain blue as top of fuselage, and lower surfaces will be white. I think I will add the single white stripe to the top of the wings and h-stabs for a bit of nostalgia as well.

"Beautiful BEA" is an Acronym for my daughter and their two daughters first name initials.

....yup another of my completely off the wall builds.....

but I promise one or two mainstream military builds are in the planning/researching stages.

Here is the preliminary sketch,

IMAG0930.jpg

Thanks guys for all the interest and comments on my other models, I have had a blast with all of this, and have learned and re-learned so much. Thanks

Well a quick update. I have been chipping away at this lil project. Blue ended up a bit on the light side, but I think it will be ok and maybe contrast the insignia blue on the stars and bars a bit more.

IMAG0935.jpg

IMAG0951.jpg

IMAG0952.jpg

Errrrrr ....... How'd I miss this??

I think it's terrific and a fitting gift for your son-in-law !

By the way, have you ever thought of opening a design consultancy for aircraft livery/colour schemes? Seems you've got the imagination for it.

Great job

Grant.

Grant, thanks for the huge compliment!!!

I would just love that type of work. As a youngster I wish I wouldve gotten a college education in graphic arts, especially with todays technology. I am a pen and pencil guy, with a sign making background, but no real training.

I think it would be great to end up designing schemes for a few racers or vip lears :m0152: at some point. Thanks again