Revell,Trumpeter P-38M Double Build

pappy1

Nice work on the cockpit Neil...What colour do you use for the interior green?

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek, Im going to use the standard cockpit (interior)green with a few drops of brown just to darken it a little.I'm really not to sure with lockheed. I know that Republic, and Bell used a different shade of green one a darker one, and the other a more apple green. Anybody got any tips out there......Neal

pappy1,

As to the lockheed colors for the interior.Bronze green comes to mind and it had a dark finish as to what u mentioned.Interior green and zinc chromate green were the norm for almost all A/C of the period.There is a color code for the bronze green.But have no where to look except the the stockholm color charts that i have seen posted over on HS.Maybe one of the guys here might know it and send it to u.Larry

Hi Derek, Im going to use the standard cockpit (interior)green with a few drops of brown just to darken it a little.I'm really not to sure with lockheed. I know that Republic, and Bell used a different shade of green one a darker one, and the other a more apple green. Anybody got any tips out there......Neal

Thanks Neil...I was just wondering which brand of paint you used?...

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Neil...I was just wondering which brand of paint you used?...

Cheers

Derek

Derek,

I think that there is some confusion going on about your color question. The "greenish" color you see on the cockpit parts is olive drab molded plastic.

Neil,Harvey,

Great double build going on, and I am very curious to see if the M mod will fit the Trumpy kit!

Peace,

Alfonso

AH, come on guys, need a little help here. Please?.............Harv :speak_cool:

Hello Harvey,

I do not have any reference for the P-38 with the panels removed. In terms of gut feeling, I cannot really comment on the fastener pitch unless I see a photograph, however, the panel landing does look a little too braod to my eyes (again, I'd need to see a photograph to be certain). I think you are doing a really good job up to now. So many modellers want to display the engine opened on this aircraft, it makes me wonder if it is worth looking at a detail set? Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Derek

Hey Harv , from photos I have seen the mounting area that you have made looks to be a little to wide since on the real aircraft the space is about 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch but the cuts look great, and straight.

I am a little behind. My last post showed I was working on the cockpit and redoing the rear radio section, when it dawned on me The P-38 M doesn't have the conventional radio section, because the radar operators area starts directly behind the pilot :innocent: .So I am reworking some things and should have some pics [posted tomorrow......Pappy1

You know Neal, when you talked about the radio compartment, it didn`t even dawn on me either! Our bad!. Here is a quick update. I have the one opening almost complete. I narrowed the one and tried to get the others the same. I think it came out ok. When paited, it will change the look for sure.Time to move on. I think I will have to start assem. the main gear section so I can test fit the rear bulkhead and ultimitly the engine to see how it will sit . Just having a hard time figuring out were to start. Everything depends on something else, know what I mean?..........Harv :)

100_1626.jpg

WoW Harv, I like it :thumbsup: Now if I can pull off the same sort of thing on the other side. The Revell engine isn't as detailed as the Trumpeter one. I have a extra Trumpeter engine from when I did my P-38 F back date, does anyone know if it will work.I know that it is a little smaller(the Trumpeter One) but it has better detail.I guess trial and error. :) Pappy1

Here is a couple of quick pics that show the P-38 M conversion part set on top of the Revell wing with the radio section already cut off. Jerry's casting is excellent and the detail is very good.The only problem that I had with the Revell kit is I had to cut about 1/8th of an inch past the panel line (it looks as though Revells wing mar not be as wide front to back as the Trumpeter wing) for the conversion part to fit.All in all I'm pleased with Jerry's set......Pappy1post-5839-1263925075.jpg

post-5839-1263925027.jpg

• 3 weeks later...