Interesting cockpit

LSP_Matt

Yeah no dramas Piet...nothing would surpise me and it never pays to be too categorical about any fact...especially when its only one photo in a book. Perhaps it my science background that makes me inherently sceptical about anything presented as catergorical so I wouldn't have been surprised if you could have been right anyway. :lol:

Your photo was good though in that it further illustrates the design flavour of this man. Its something that I find quite interesting...I wonder if the kit plane FW190's coming out now are also the same layout? Hmmm :P Now THAT would be a nice LSP. Hey...can you imagine getting all the LSPers together to paint it. :lol: We could even get Haggo to do some low passes.

On the Ta183 there is quite a deal of discusion in the book about that aircraft and the various shaped tails it had. I got the impression they were working on it even after the war in applying its features to other aircraft. There was a team of dudes ( some who had been influential at FW since the 30's)...and they all ended up in Argentena ( Hola!!! Beunos Noches ) working on the PulquiII.

:D Matty

Mmmm...good guesses everyone but given its Chistmas and people have things to do..I'll not drag it out.

The Doc was getting mighty warm with his 'very progresive' assessment but you were all in the 'ball park'. I all of us can see the FW lineage coming strongly. Its the indigenous HF24 built by HAL in the 60's...right up Saso's alley I would imagine.

The images come from "Kurt Tank - FW's Designer and Test Pilot" by Wolfgang Wagner and published by Schiffer

ISBN : 0 -7643-0644-8. Quite an interesting read (273 pages) and covers many of the pre/during and post war aircraft that Tank and FW were associated with. Has a particularly interesting diagram of the autopilot from the FW190.

In the 190 section it describes how Tank put a lot of thought into making it a plane that didn't require the pilot to 'think' about the flying aspect...especially in cockpit design and also in flight handling characteristics. Hence leaving the pilot to concentrate on important tasks such as Nav and combat.

It struck me that being both a pilot, engineer, flown on ops and served in the military Kurt Tank was almost the perfect person to have designing 'effective' aircraft for 'the boys'. I guess this cockpit photo just goes to show that when you're on a good thing...stick to it.

cool huh.

cheers Matty

Matt,

Nice picture...I' very tempted...The HF-24 definately has that 'something' about it... :P

Interesting discussion.

Cheers

Derek

...I wonder if the kit plane FW190's coming out now are also the same layout? Hmmm :( Now THAT would be a nice LSP.

Is it the Flugwerk Fw190 you are speaking off? If so, then yes, the layout is the same. Only the actual instrument manufacturers are different and the instrument models of course, and in the place of weapons systems some new technologies are installed, like radios and so on.

Yeah mate..Flugwerk...phew...to go for a ride in that...how awesome. I've got video I downloaded on that plane but no interior shots or under the cowl stuff.

I was only watching this TV show this arvo on rich people and the planes they fly. One dude in the UK has I counted at least 3 maybe 4 immaculate Hawker Hunters that he hoots around in. But I'd be into a prop I reckon...Yak3 or 9 also, but first pick the 190.

I'd love to have a shot in that 163 glider as well...wicked fun.

It'd be nice if we could get some axis planes in Aus...I think once there was a Macchi 205 or something...looked trick...dodgy undercarriage in real life though mate :( .

Have a good Christmas

cheers Matty

Guest steve gallacci

According to my references and the same photo, it is from the Ta154 wooden moch up.

A thing about the Ta183, while some idjits claim the MiG 15 was derived from it, the Lagg15 and family of predicesors have a lot more in common with it (looks more like the '183 than the Pulqui). Whether or not Lagg was influenced by the Ta183, they were able to make a workable design that would give some hint of the potential of a de-bugged production'183.

The Lagg 15 did see some production but was not proceeded with beyond that as it duplicated the MiG15's role, though had a better ceiling.

Yeah no dramas Piet...nothing would surpise me and it never pays to be too categorical about any fact...especially when its only one photo in a book.

Interesting Steve...which of course begs a few questions :

Does anyone have a photo of the cockpit of a Marut HF24? Indian airforce...post the Gnats??

Which book is the photo from Steve?...it'd be OK if you posted the image as long you give credit to the author.

Does anyone have any theories as to why such discrepancies would occur?

Hmmm...interesting :unsure:

:blink: Matty