1/24 Airfix Hurricane

Kostucha

Hello all.

Let's just put the Stuka to rest... for now. In the mean time, as one good fellow mentioned, I should have something ready to get started on right away. In fact, I do.

I'm toying with the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane Mk. I. (Airfix kit, MPC boxing... meh). What I wanted to do with it was to have a little fun, but not stretch this one over a year. I'd like it done for Christmas.

The plan is very simple... I've got an Airfix kit, I've got an idea... and I've also got the Trumpeter 1/24 PE set for their Hurricane. Combining all three, the hope is to achieve a pretty good Hurricane, closed up, with pretty much everything as close to OOB as possible, except for the open cockpit.

I'd like to create a display model that shows a Hurricane taking off for a scramble, ideally with markings showing it's a BoB bird, that has one wheel off the ground, and the other just ready to let go. Much the same as is seen

showing exactly what I would like to replicate, just on grass rather than hardpack runway. *I hope that video is allowed, if not, I'll find a picture I hope*

The construction is going to be simple enough, with most detail focused on the externals of the aircraft (the control surface hinges, inside the landing lights, etc. etc. etc) and just the cockpit containing a pilot taking off with the canopy slid open.

The icing on the cake I hope is to have a small electric motor able to spin the prop. I don't see the need to plan on having lighting work, as from what I can tell, seldom (if ever) on a scramble in the day time would a Hurricane during the BoB need it's wing tip, tail, and landing lights turned on during take off.

The trick to it, will be including a brass frame inside the kit, and building it down the starboard MLG leg & tire to support not only the weight of the model balanced on one strut, but the electrical wires connecting the motor to the power supply under the base of the kit.

And thus... the fun challenge of the build.

I'd like to get your input and insight into this one, and see if I've strayed far off anywhere. Hints, suggestions, cursings, are all welcomed.

More to come very soon.

Cheers,

Mark.

way to get back in the ring man!

This is going to be great!

What about constructing one whole gear strut from brass and having it attached to a "spar" in the wing? That would hold the weight then you could use a hollow brass peg into the wheel as well though which you could run the wires up, into the wheel, then into the leg and then the fuse to the motor...clear as mud right?

Thanks Guys!

I like the idea, actually pretty good!

The other option I was thinking of, was using the area where the MLG cover panel meets the strut to hide the wires, coming in through the rubber. This could let me use a heavy gauge of spring wire (it's not so springy actually...), and have that come up and mount into the brass frame. If that doesn't pan out, I'm using your idea for sure. (Giving you full credit of course)

Either way, the great thing is that the Hurricane didn't have dainty, frilly, weak looking landing gear (not to knock Spits or 109's...). She had some thick cankle like struts... thus, making life for me a whole lot easier in trying to do this.

As much will be removed from the kit as possible of course... though saving the 8 303's (well, maching gun bays as a whole) along with the kits merlin surely wont be a great amount of weight, every little bit counts with this one I would think.

As for markings, not completely sure as of yet. I was thinking something from the 303rd, or a Canadian bird. That's all minor details so far.

The complete shopping list looks like this:

The kit - got it

The pilot - got it... errr... stole it from my mossie kit

Trumpeter PE Set - got it (only certain things will be used, like the seat for example)

HobbyDecal stencils - going to order

Decals - not sure yet

Crap load of Brass - not yet

As for the base... I'm still trying to come up with an idea as to how to replicate not only a good grass field, but also making it look as though it's in motion, travelling past the Hurricane as it's taking off.

Ideas?

Cheers,

Mark.

Definitely true. I was thinking about that too. Some good blending with paints mixed in with sand paper to soften the details to show it could work out quite well.

I'm just glad I decided to do a take off instead of landing... suffice to say I wasn't looking forward to the flaps.

In that video, yes, he's certainly using flaps, however time and time again I've seen them take off without. Including in the video at the very beginning of this thread.

It's hard to distinguish how it was with how it now is I find. Going through countless pictures of Hurricanes on t/o's, *airliners.net provided a lot of good information* some do, but a large majority don't drop flaps for take off.

I was surprised at first too!

Mate DONT decal this! Use Montex masks you will never look back I promise

Could you elaborate?

I've wanted to use montex masks, I've used them for canopies, but I noticed after all that was done a very distinctive paint line... even when taking all the tips I could about minimizing them. I'm weary about them considering that with fine trimming of the carrier film, a decal is still A LOT thinner than the mask.

I'm not doubting, I'd just love to get more clarification.

Cheers,

Mark.

I find they are very convincing in 1/24. They can be faded or weathered easily. Carrier film can be very obvious in 1/24. Are you using an airbrush? I have never had a paint seam line but they benefit from a light rub with a miracle polisher to give them the same finish as the surrounding surface