1/24 Trumpeter Hurricane Mk IIC/Trop

WrongWay

This will be A Hurricane of 261 Squadron. I will be using Montex masks so all markings will be painted on except the stencils. Not really any aftermarket goodies for these 1/24 kits so with the exception of what I scratch it will be mostly out of box. I hope to improve upon my build speed with this one. :) That said I'm already stuck waiting on some backordered items. :doh:

This is the profile from Montex which seems to be wrong. I found no Mk IIc's at all in 126 Squadron. A friend showed me a profile of Hurricane Mk IIC/Trop serial Z3515 in 261 Squadron North Africa. The same markings as the Montex profile except with a red spinner. This is what I'll be going with unless I find this to be wrong too. I'm still waiting on some books to arrive so I'll do more research on it later.

IMG.jpg

I'm stuck waiting on an order of RAF green for the interior so I'll have to be content with working on the Merlin for now. I have a lot of detailing to do on it so it should keep me busy for quite a while.

I'm currently painting all those bolt heads silver. I'm also making the wire harness out of aluminum tubing with solder for the leads.

IMG_9655.jpg

Trump did a nice job of the engine but left out all of the coolant lines. I'll soon fix that. The blower is nicely done.

IMG_9637.jpg

I drilled out the prop shaft to add a little more detail even though it will never be seen. Makes for nice pictures anyway!

IMG_9639.jpg

Excellent choice and great work!

I used the same mask set to do the SEAC Hurri II--the masks are really nice, especially the ones for the cockpit frames.

Look forward to seeing more of this one.

Tim W.

Thanks everyone! I finally got my supplies in so I'm back on it. Just a small update for now.

This is all you get from Trumpeter apart from the tank on the firewall. The cross brace underneath is missing and there are no coolant or oil lines.

IMG_9761.jpg

Now to breathe some life into it by adding the plumbing. While most of it will never be seen I still wanted to add it.

IMG_9783.jpg

I added the cross bracing under the frame rails from aluminum tubing and sheet plastic.

IMG_9780.jpg

I'm waiting for the Future to dry before I continue on so that's all for now.

IMG_9775.jpg

IMG_9778.jpg

Excellent choice and great work!

I used the same mask set to do the SEAC Hurri II--the masks are really nice, especially the ones for the cockpit frames.

Look forward to seeing more of this one.

Tim W.

Thanks Tim! I'm glad to hear the masks worked for you. I hope I have the same luck too!

One more part to make and the engine is finally done. I will then give it a light weathering and move onto the cockpit.

I added welds to the exhausts using Humbrol putty. Nice and slaggy welds like the real ones.

IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9879.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

Beautiful work!

I built the Trumpy IIC Trop a couple of years ago in the scheme of 249 Squadron at Ta'Qali, Malta in February 1942.

I don't know if you have it but I used a book "Hurricanes over Malta" by Brian Cull who is THE expert regarding Malta and North Africa. It shows that 126, and 261 Squadrons both operated Hurricanes on Malta. I managed to work out mine as a IIC by reading through the combat reports in the book. On the jacket it says the book is distributed in the US by Seven Hills Book Distributors. in Cincinnati. e-mail : customerservice@sevenhillsbooks.com.

Hope this may be of help, Keep up the good work!!!

Phil