Azur Caudron CR-714 1/32 in German Markings

Hi guys, it has been a long time since I last finished a kit, I started this one early in 2022 and thought I could finish it before we had to move because we were going to renovate our house but I could not get it done then... And so the kit went into a storage box until summer of 2023.

The kit is not without its faults, if you want the canopy and the side canopy partially open you have to remove quite a thick slice of plastic in front of the windscreen because otherwise the 3 parts (Windscreen, side windows and back windows) will not fit. 

The underside poses its own problems, when you attach the wings the fuselage sticks out leaving a large gap that you need to patch with plastic card. I do not remember exactly how large it was but I think I had to build it up with at least 1cm long pieces of plasticard. It took a long time to get a smooth transition.

Because I had spilled MRP thinner over the wings just when it was almost ready, the decals were damaged and some surface detail as well, so I needed to build some scratch build pieces for the covers on the wings, and since I did not find other French decals in 1/32 scale, I decided to make a German version. The Germans used a number of captured Caudrons as decoys for a short time. French markings were overpainted with swastikas. I used the excellent Stratus' Caudron-Renault CR.714 Cyclone: The ultimate story as reference. There are two color schemes of Caudrons in German Markings in this book. One in Camouflage and one in French Kaki and that is the one I chose. Some aircraft were delivered in Gris Bleu foncé on the upper surfaces but a number were delivered in Kaki Français. The other camouflage colors were painted when the aircraft were delivered to the base they were assigned to. That is why no two Caudron CR-714 are painted the same. The one in Kaki I chose did not have the other colors applied and the Germans overpainted the French markings and the Polish one at the sides. I used Gris Bleu foncé for that since it would have been available on the base. 

So it is not what it could have been but at least it is finished. Here are some shots of the interior with a lot of scratch build parts.

IMG_9139 copyS

IMG_8856 copyS

IMG_9144 copyS

I could not get the colour of the French Kaki to match in the photographs so in reality the color is a bit more greenish.

P1027997 copyS

P1027991-Enhanced-NR copyS

P1027979-Enhanced-NR copyS

P1027960 copyS

P1027945-Enhanced-NR-1S

IMG_9442 copyS

IMG_9423 copyS

IMG_9433 copyS

IMG_9418 copyS

And a photograph of the actual aircraft

German Marking Caudron 714

On 3/25/2024 at 11:46 PM, MDriskill said:

I love this! I've long been a fan of this goofy aircraft, and I don't think I've ever seen the Azur kit built before. Excellent work!

Thank you for your nice comments.

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Meticulous work as ever Glijn, especially in the cockpit. Very unusual! :D

Thank you, I like toads all the details I can :D

It took a long time and I got really tired of all the issues so I was Glad it was finished now :D