Two tips to scribe vacs

Hi guys,

Vacs are more difficult to scribe than classical IM kits as the plastic is noticeably softer. Moreover, it looks the heating process used to make them has a physical effect on the plastic structure as it is also more difficult to scribe as regularly as you can do on a new sheet of styrene. After having tested many scriber types I can testify the best ones (at least for the straigth lines) are the ones with a hook-shaped tip as they remove a fine string of plastic. Hasegawa and Tamiya are making some excellent ones.

However, even with excellent scribers, avoiding some hiccups is close to impossible. I'm generally using soft CA glue to fill them on IM kits (such as the black CA). Alas, this is not the best approach on vacs for the same reason: because of the softer plastic you will sand more plastic than glue when you will try to sand it to clean the area. After having tried different products, I'm finally using a bottle of white Tamiya primer with a toothpick. When dry this does not become rock hard and can be sanded without damage. Highly recommended !

Hth 

Thierry